Solved

Deduplication backup

• 24 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +11

Hi, 

I have few question about deduplication. 

I will be very appreciate for help:

1. how to backup servers with enabled deduplication - some special tips
  2. how to recover files from volumes with deduplication enabled
  3. is the option of data backup on such servers with the use of an installed agent recommended / not recommended, how does it affect the backup speed,
  4. why Commvault is not able to recover data from disks after deduplication, maybe something else needs to be configured?

Thanks for help!

icon

Best answer by Orazan 24 March 2022, 11:38

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Good morning.   I will do my best to answer your questions:

1.  There is nothing special that needs to be done to backup servers with Deduplication enabled other than to associate the deduplicated storage policy copy to the subclient being backed up.
  2. Deduplication is not used during restores.
  3. Commvault does not recommend using or not using Deduplication.  That is a customer preference based on their business needs. Deduplication will lessen the footprint of data protection on storage.  Deduplication can help speed up backups by moving less data over the network over time but can slow backups down if the hardware is not spec'd properly.
  4. why Commvault is not able to recover data from disks after deduplication, maybe something else needs to be configured?”  I am not sure what you mean by this question.  Are you asking why deduplicated data can not be recovered if you lose a drive?
Badge

Hi @kszaf do you mean for volumes configured with Windows Deduplication? If so, please see this thread if it addresses your query -