Question

Delete a list of tapes

• 17 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

I have 2 lists of tapes in 2 libraries - let’s say 1000 tapes in each list - and they are all in scratch, and they need to be deleted from Commvault for physical destruction.

Not all the tapes in scratch need to be deleted though. Only a sub-list of specific tapes.

So what I need to do, is either select multiple tapes for deletion, or to import a list of tapes that can be deleted in one action.

In the Java GUI, I can only see how to delete a tape one-by-one. That will take a loooong time.

I have had a quick look in Command Center (I don;t use it much) and canot see a way to achieve this in there.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks

2 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

In the Java GUI, you can delete the multiple media at one go. 

Deleting multiple media from Java GUI: 

1. Select Storage Resources | Libraries | <Library Name> | Media by Groups | Default Scratch/or any other pool to which media belongs..

2. Hold down the Ctrl key, and then in the right pane, select all of the appropriate media.

3. Right-click the selected media, and then click All Tasks | Delete.

Even you can move the media across the pools created and can select multiple media for deletion. 

let us know if that helps you to achieve the same. 

Badge +1

Thanks I don’t know why I didn’t look at the scratch tapes Groups level. I was only looking at Exported media, and trying to pick multiple scratch tapes there.  Of course, if they are actually designated scratch then the scratch groups would be the best place to look, it makes sense,

Thanks for your help.