Solved

Disk Library IOPS requirement

• 11 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi All

Do the below IOPS numbers in the second table below correspond to the test condition specified here :Excerpt from: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/8852_testing_iops_for_disk_library_mount_path_with_iometer.html

Access Specification

Settings

Percent Read

Percent Write

Percent Random Distribution

Percent Sequential Distribution

Transfer Request Size

The minimum IOPS required for each mount path of the disk library of extra large, large and medium MediaAgents is:

Components

Extra Large

Large

Medium

Disk Library

1000 IOPS

1000 IOPS

800 IOPS

icon

Best answer by Josh Perkoff 11 January 2022, 22:42

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
  1. Is the above recommended IOPS number an average of random and sequential I/O? How does commvault arrive at 800 IOPS for Medium MA?
  2. For deduplication backups:https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/12411_deduplication_building_block_guide.html#b12415_deduplication_system_requirements
  • For Windows, we recommend that the DDB needs to be on a fast, dedicated disk formatted at 32KB and dedicated disk libraries formatted at 64 K. For Linux MediaAgents, we recommend to use DDB disks formatted at 4KB block size.

What is the allocation unit size recommended for linux media agents for formating the disks?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @neuwiesener ,

My name is Josh and I will be assisting you in these questions.

For your original question on this thread, yes those test values are what should be used to test the IOPS on the disk intended to be used for the library.  This value is based on lab testing within our Development environment.

For your second question, if you are referring to the recommended block size, we recommend a 4k block size be set for the DDB Host disk.

Please let me know if these responses answer your questions, or if you have further follow-up questions.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

For Windows, we recommend that the DDB needs to be on a fast, dedicated disk formatted at 32KB and dedicated disk libraries formatted at 64 K. What is the block size required for Linux?