Disk Library on LVM or gpt disk

• 21 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hi,I'm setting up the new Linux (Red-Hat) MediaAgent right now and I have a "what would be better" question. Maybe someone would like to share experiences :) On this new MediaAgent I plan to create a new disk library. MediaAgent will have available resources via SAN  from an array (several volumes of 8TB each). Is it better to do LVM on these volumes (create vgs, create lvols and finally create filesystem - for example ext4) or better to make a gpt (parted) partitions and create ext4 without creating vgs and lvols?
I am very curious about your opinion what would be a better solution.
greetings

5 replies

Badge +2

Logical Volume Manager will be required for DDB backups if these MA’s will be hosting a DDB.

Badge +2

You can review the following documentation for more info.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/12504_deduplication_database_backup.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks Doug L for the reply and for the link to the documentation. The DDB database will be on LVM (local SSDs) - it’s a plan - but in my question I was thinking about the disk library

Dorota

Badge +2

There is no need for LVM on the disk library.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hi,
Does it matter what type of filesystem do I use for the disk library mountpath? Ext4, xfs, btrfs - which is the best for a disk library (mounthpath)?

Dorota