Solved

Drive stuck at the "Media is being Unmounted" status

• 26 April 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hello,

I have a tape that appears to be stuck in one of the library drives. The tape itself  reports that it is stuck in the drive. I have tried the Clean / Reload / Unload Drive options to do effect. I also restarted the Quantum tape library to see if that helps, again no luck.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by Kegan Levett 2 May 2022, 07:11

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Kegan Levett 

Have you tried to reset the drive by right clicking on the drive in the java console and selecting Reset Drive? A more high over approach would be to reset the library by right clicking on the library in the java console and selecting Reset Library.

If this doesn't work you might have an SCSI address issue, stop all tape activity in this library, restart the commvault services on the media agent and if that doesn’t work perform an exhaustive detection. Exhaustive Detection can be perfomed by opening java console, go to the Storage tab, click on Expert Storage Configuration, add the media agents involved with the tape drives of this library and click OK, right click the library involved, go to Advanced Options and select Exhaustive Detection.

This last one will reset all software issues on the library, assuming the media agent detects the drives and robot arm correctly, this can take a few minutes depending on your library type and size.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

If the there is a tape stuck in the drive, manually remove the tape and then reset the library.  If the exhaustive detection that @Jos Meijer does not work, attempt to run TapeToolGui to read the OML label as shown here:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/10587_tapetoolgui.html

Please update this thread with your results.

Badge +3

Hi @Jos Meijer 

I haven’t had any luck with your recommended steps. I received the following error / log when running the Exhaustive Detection process:

Auto Detection of Libraries/Drives Started on client [anxbkpcs01]....
Auto detect HOST:[anxbkpcs01] completed successfully. Libraries:[0], Drives:[0].
Auto Detection of Libraries/Drives Started on client [anxbkpma01]....
Errors during AutoDetect.
Detection failed on MediaAgent [anxbkpma01], error: Receive wrong message from
MediaAgent [anxbkpma01]..
***** Start Exhaustive Detection *****
Initialize the library...
Unmounting all media on MediaAgent [anxbkpcs01]...
Unmounting all media on MediaAgent [anxbkpma01]...
Unmounted all media on MediaAgent [anxbkpcs01].
Unmounted all media on MediaAgent [anxbkpma01].
Start to detect drives on Library [QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01)]...
Mounting a medium to drive slot (1) in Library [QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01)]...
Warning - Mount error on Library [QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01)], error: Moving medium failed. Sense Code: Status = 0x05, ASC = 0x83, ASCQ = 0x04 - Illegal Request: Vendor-specific code.
Mounting a medium to drive slot (2) in Library [QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01)]...
Warning - Mount error on Library [QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01)], error: Moving medium failed. Sense Code: Status = 0x05, ASC = 0x3b, ASCQ = 0x0d - Illegal Request: MEDIUM DESTINATION ELEMENT FULL.
Finished detection on Library [QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01)].
***** End Exhaustive Detection *****

***** Exhaustive Detection Report *****

QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6 22(QUANTUM Scalar i3-i6, Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1)(FW:251G)(anxbkpma01) Serial Number: QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA - Drive Count: 2
Drive 1: IBM ULTRIUM-HH8_1(IBM ULTRIUM-HH8, Ser#C42AAD5004@Scsi3:0,0,0)(FW:M571)(\\.\Tape0)(13959232)(anxbkpma01) Serial Number: C42AAD5004
Drive 2: IBM ULTRIUM-HH8_2(IBM ULTRIUM-HH8, Ser#C42AAD5000@Scsi4:0,0,0)(FW:M571)(\\.\Tape1)(13959168)(anxbkpma01) Serial Number: C42AAD5000

***** End Report *****

Ready

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

It seems that the feedback you are receiving comes from the tape library it self.
There might be a physical issue where either there is actually a tape stuck in a drive or there is an other hardware failure causing this sense code.

Tape Stuck:
Have you manually checked the drives?
If there is a tape stuck there are often options to remove the tape:

• Force eject button/pin hole on the drive, or
  • Manual eject wheel on drive.

Other Hardware issue:

There is one thing that I find strange in this log, both drives are showing the same SN and SCSI:

Slot 1: Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1
Slot 2: Ser#QUANTUMFQL2105005_LLA@Scsi4:0,0,1

I would perform the following before checking hardware issues.

• Disable activity within commvault which uses this Media Agent
  • Stop Media Agent Services
  • Power down tape library
  • Reboot Media Agent
  • Power up tape library
  • Re-discover hardware on Media Agent
  • Perform Exhaustive Detection 

If not resolved take a look at the firmware levels for you HBA and Tape Library, we have seen this behaviour before where the combination of HBA type with the device was the issue. A firmware update might fix the issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Kegan Levett Good morning.  Can you please run ScanSCSITool and verify that the correct number of drives and serial numbers are being seen by the operating system:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/expert/10644_tape_libraries_troubleshooting_and_knowledge_base.html#resolution-07

Badge +3

Hi all.

In the end toggling off and on the drives directly from the display of the Quantum Scalar resolved the problem. Commvault and Quantum support couldn’t detect a specific cause of the problem, beyond suggesting updating the assorted drivers.

Cheers