Solved

Drives Tape Library with mount status:"Reservation Stuck"

• 30 August 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I am executing a database tape backup with RMAN, the backup fails with RMAN errors and in the tape library the drives with Reservation Stuck status are observed, the status of the drives is "Drive Fully Accessible", which indicates Reservation Stuck ?

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00569: =============== ERROR MESSAGE STACK FOLLOWS ===============
RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-03009: failure of uncatalog command on ch1 channel at 08/29/2022 16:13:07
ORA-00204: error in reading (block 1, # blocks 1) of control file
ORA-00202: control file: '+DS242600413/backup.ctl.galaxy.1'
ORA-15078: ASM diskgroup was forcibly dismounted
RMAN> 
Recovery Manager complete.
ORACLE error from target database: 
]
l file: '+DS242600413/backup.ctl.galaxy.1'
RMAN> 
Recovery Manager complete.
ORACLE error from target database: 
]

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 1 September 2022, 21:07

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Reservation and drive accessibility are two different things. The reservation being stuck refers to SCSI reservations on the drive where drive does not appear to be responding to a release reservation. Drive accessibility merely means the drive path is visible to OS on each MA. 

Badge +1

thanks for answering!! How can I identify what is causing the SCSI reservation stuck problem? The operating system of the MA is SunOS 5.11? How can I check for SCSI reservation conflicts in commvault?

Badge +1

Reservation and drive accessibility are two different things. The reservation being stuck refers to SCSI reservations on the drive where drive does not appear to be responding to a release reservation. Drive accessibility merely means the drive path is visible to OS on each MA. 

thanks for answering!! How can I identify what is causing the SCSI reservation stuck problem? The operating system of the MA is SunOS 5.11? How can I check for SCSI reservation conflicts in commvault?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Please have a look on this page: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/10644_tape_libraries_troubleshooting_and_knowledge_base.html 

You could try to use the TapeTool utility and also look in the messages log on the server. Also check if you have a utility from the tape library vendor that allows you to run tests to see if you can pin point the root cause.