Solved

Egress Charges on AWS Aux copy

• 28 April 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hey all - can someone explain this statement in the Cloud Architecture Guide for AWS (page 29)?

Do not utilize an on-premises MediaAgent to perform Auxiliary copy as Cloud egress costs (S3 Pricing >) will be incurred.

We have customers doing this very thing and one is having an issue with high egress charges.  We are not sure that the charges are from Commvault but want to make sure.  The customer turned off data verification but that did not make a difference.  They are writing Oracle logs directly to the cloud library (instead of primary onsite) and are very tight on hard drive space and have a lot of index restores happening but I don’t see either of those things causing large Egress.  The index restores would come from the primary onsite copy.

Can someone point me in the right direction on if there are other things with this aux copy that could cause egress?

Thanks!

Melissa

icon

Best answer by Melissa Adams 2 May 2022, 20:59

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Essentially, any time data is moved from the cloud library to a non-cloud MA, you’ll incur those costs.  Data Verifications and more can add up.

The best alternative is creating a cloud based Media Agent and letting that handle the library directly.  Granted there *IS* a cost there, but often a lower one.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Mike Struening  I understand setting up a cloud MA for the Aux Copy. This customer set this up on their own.  We are just trying to help them determine if Commvault is causing egress charges.  We have told them to make sure DDB Verification is turned off as well as data verification (which was on and he did turn off).  Are those the only 2 things that would cause egress charges - it sounds like they are excessive enough that questions are being asked.  Would anything else besides those 2 things cause egress?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’ll see if I can get a list for you 😎

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

@Mike Struening  I wanted to let you know that the DDB verification was causing the extra egress charges.  Thanks!

Melissa

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the follow up!!