Solved

four to six DDB partitions

• 17 December 2021
  • 14 replies

Badge +2

Situation is I have a setup with three hyperscale nodes and a cloud library. The wish is to use all three the nodes to the cloud library and make two DDB partition on each node.

At the moment we were able to connect two of the nodes to the library and create two DDB partitions on the two nodes, but when I try to add two more partitions for the third node the add partitions option os greyed out.

As from the documentation :”Configuring Additional Partitions for a Deduplication Database” you should be able to create a six partition DDB. This is also the case for the two existing Storage Pool Libraries on the Hyperscales.

So my question is, am I doing something wrong, missing a limitation or is something wrong within the configuration which is causing this?

icon

Best answer by Corey Lodato 12 January 2022, 15:07

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Luis Constantino , thanks for the post!

Do you already have partitions for another DDB on that last node?  For hyperscale it’s possible you already do.

Badge +2

Hello Mike,

Correct there are already other DDB partitions on all three the nodes.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Luis Constantino , that’s likely why, though did the others also already have partitions there, or are you referring to the ones you just created?  I assume the former.

Badge +2

@Mike Struening ,

Yes, the existing partions are from the Hyperscale Storage Pools made with the role out of the Hyperscale.

So I can understand that it is due to a limitation, but the snag is in the fact that on BOL we can see that 6 partition DDB's are supported, but there is no guide to what limitations/rules that you need to adhere to in such a case.

For now everything is working, but for the newly added CloudLibrary we have a different config then for the Hyperscale Storage Pools which if possible we would like to match.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good point.  Let me talk to the documentation folks and see if this is documented and we can’t find it, or if we need to create a documentation MR (which I’ll then do on your behalf).

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Luis Constantino , I heard back from dev (quite quickly, too!).

“which SP is this Customer at because from Admin Console when we create a pool for HS / HSX we allow 6.

if they are trying to extend now from Java GUI there might be an restricton, please escalate and we will help them out”

Can you create a support case and share the incident number with me?

Badge +2

@Mike Struening, customer is running FR23 and we did do the creation and all work from the Java GUI.

I will have a ticket opened and as soon as that is available I will share the incident number.

Thank you for your answers up till now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great, I’ll keep an eye out for your reply!

Badge +2

@Mike Struening , We have created a support ticket with Commvault for this, id is 220110-151 and will be worked on by my colleagues on support.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Looks like Corey already got you an answer!  He’s a smart one, for sure!

-Please open the Control Panel -> Media Management -> Deduplication tab ->
"Maximum allowed substore configuration" -> change this to 6

Let me know if you’re comfortable marking this solved!

Badge +2

@Mike Struening , Yes we will implement the requested steps to be able to add additional partitions.

Maybe it would be a good idea to add the authentication code requirement to BOL and also the Control Panel > etc > etc. steps so as to have this documented so people know it is possible under approval and then were to change.

For no thank you very much for the assistance and information.:thumbsup_tone1:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Agreed!  I’ll see if the engineer already did so (and if not, create one in your name).

Thanks!

Badge +2

@Luis Constantino I submitted a documentation change request - 341836.

I requested in the documentation page for adding partitions that they make a link to the parameter "Maximum allowed substore configuration” so this can be updated to 6 if required.
As of SP22, the authorization code is no longer required and they made this parameter visible in Control Panel -> Media Management -> Deduplication tab.

Badge +2

@Corey Lodato  thank you very much for request and happy that via this way we can make documentation better towards the future.