Question

Issue with New LTO9 Tapes

• 15 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

We have recently expanded our MSL6480 Tape library with six new LTO9 drives. Initialized 10 new LTO9 tapes from the Library console. However upon checking the properties of the tapes from the CommVault console --→ under media info tab--→ format & type it is showing as ultrium-V7. have anyone faced this problem? please help me to fix this.

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi Amit,

Thanks for reaching out for assistance.

Was the Media Discovery completed automatically or manually?

You can follow the steps below to re-discover the media with the correct LTO Version:
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/10101_discover_media_overview.html

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Kind regards,

Scott Henderson
Media Management - Technical Team Lead (APAC)

Badge +1

Hello Scott,

Thank you for the prompt response. The media discovery was completed automatically. Now when I am trying to run the discover media by right clicking the library it gives message as there are no media to discover.

Badge +1

Also just wanted to update you that upon checking the Library properties --→ Media usage --→ Enable Auto-Discovery of media into default scratch pool --→ default media is selected as Ultrium 7. does that make any difference. Attached is the screenshot for reference.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi ! You got it.

This default setting tells Commvault tapes would primarily be ‘seen’ as LTO7.

Change this to LTO9 and it should be fine.

If you already discovered your LTO9 tapes as LTO7 tapes, you should then delete all those LTO7 tapes, then reset your library and discover the library content. Then they should be reflected as LTO9.