Solved

License File Library and Tape Library

• 8 November 2021
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello Guys,

I have a question: My Commvault licensing is 3Tb, and i´m using 1.8Tb:

And i bought A Fujitsu Tape LT20 Library and the license of this library acquired doesn´t count in the licesing  of Commvault File Library, Is it Correct?
if any one have a site explain this.
Thanks

icon

Best answer by HolowEd 16 November 2021, 17:47

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @Fernando Souza 

At first I would say it should not affect your license usage, but after a bit of reflexion, it could depend on your license. Look at your license Summary, to see the SKUs/Part numbers.

AFAIK there used to be very exotic licenses in the past. Very confusing also.

So to clear out things, they decided (at least!) to simplify the licences to volumes of data to protect, or servers (virtual, physical, ...). I jumped on this opportunity to have a clear licensing mode, understandable. 

So check that, and then check the License Details tab from the same part you took your screenshot. This should help you. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Laurent 

License Details:

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Fernando Souza 

If the question will you be able to backup to the tape library the answer is yes. Capacity license is based upon the amount of data that you are backing from from the clients. It is calculated based upon the latest full for each subclient that you are backing up. So if you are going to add the tape library as a destination in a secondary copy you should be able to do this without issue. If you are going to add it as the destination for a primary copy. Then you just need to make sure that you have enough capacity to cover any additional machines you may be adding to use the tape library.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @HolowEd  and @Laurent and @Mike Struening 

I made a backup test yesterday, didn´t make to a copy job.

Had  a problems after made a bakup to tape library, total backup job made yesterday 3Tb.

Today i received the message that “system reached over 161” 

But the differencial is a backup jon made in Tape Library, is it countable on license (File Library)?

_u89RzuDBYhykSpOPAf3qAmtu8Eh1B_HLj1cw9a30NaQEte0j7cVect8aSuj1lMdxMSdAHJCuZLM5JLiYNlI1DHzgXH6ukd9OvHBi5pQ-5qc0x_yNUIcaJW8aTLrfOVwuAORX79n

hQAVPGpRW0eWYaN-ymBCdkp2ERY0kVsf7gv7eKXP7-QWoDyxNZfQtKaQ5bdekO6C5a1bKp_mY7huxmF427s9UPcmlmy_y-l0tygHJ7erML_5GMYPNZ2JYw-c_CI60TuGZSWdnoKh

Before this backup job:

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Fernando Souza 

Please run a license summary report and check Capacity, Once the report finishes you should then see what jobs are contributing to the capacity.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

hello @HolowEd 

There is no such option:
SP21

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

I found the correct:
Sorry

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @HolowEd 

I ran this report but no specified nothing because i removed the job to release the space and return to license ok.

Do I need the backup again to generate the licensing occupation warning and then generate the report to see where it increased and why?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

My doubt is:
The backup job is being done in the physical library (Fujitsu LT20).
Question: Why are you counting on Commvault (File Library) licensing.
This is the problem.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Fernando Souza 

Yes you would need to run the backup again and then after you get the warning, run the report to see why you are getting the warning. As capacity is based upon the amount of data that we backed up. Not what is copied to what library. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @HolowEd 

I ran the bakup job again and received the alerta and try to run other backup job again and it´s not possible, i need to delete backup job, follow the screens and the report:

This is the Job that ran:
The job sent to the tape library.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Fernando Souza 

So this LRTSRVDNASS303 client, with its PST subclient, is a new subclient, isn’t it ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Yes, it´s the new subclient.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Fernando Souza 

The issue is not that you are using the tape library. The issue here is that you added a new subclient, which is adding to your capacity, and thus bringing you over your licensed amount. If you are wanting to back up this new subclient you will need to get an increase to you capacity. They same thing would have happened if you wrote to one of your existing disk libraries.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Exactly as @HolowEd wrote it.

Or, maybe this client/subclient is a Virtual machine, and here you would expect to not consume capacity volume licence, but the cSIM license, which would equal -from my old memories- to unlimited volumes as long as the sockets of the ESX hosting the VM is licensed… ?

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Laurent and @HolowEd 

This machine is a physical server(LRTSRVDNASS303), not virtualand i dont understand why is file library has grow, record in a tape library.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Fernando Souza 

As I stated this has nothing to do with the fact that it wrote to the tape library. This is a new backup that did not exist previously and thus is being added to capacity. It does not matter what type of library the backup is writing to.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @HolowEd and @Laurent 

Then i did the following now for test:
i made a new VM backup job to record in tape library, just to view if the size has grew.

I did this test because VM Backups are not accounted in file library, because it´s made by VSA

Just for a test:

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

@Fernando Souza 

That is cause your VM backups are going against the usage license “CPU Sockets on Hypervisor Hosts” so these will not be counted to capacity. Where adding are a physical server would be counted to capacity.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Ok, i understood but and i need to explain to my team about this. The backup job finish tomorrow.

Thanks @HolowEd and @Laurent 

And i will put here that i understood.

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @HolowEd and @Laurent and @Mike Struening 

Sorry for the delay, but the customer contacted us to continue the process of writing monthly backups to tape.
How should i proceed to make backups on tape? 

What is the best option? 
Do i need to buy more licenses?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Fernando Souza 

Well, if you can have this “big server with PSTs” virtualized, then it would not be counted as volume.

Otherwise, if this is not possible, and you have to keep that physical server (and maybe also add new physical servers), then the answer is yes, you have to buy more capacity/volume licence.

Or maybe switch / convert to the new licensing, which would just count the number of servers/clients you backup, no matter their size.

This is just an example, you have to contact Commvault sales representative to have a proper assessment of your environment and simulation of different license conversion that would better fit your need (or the customer’s).

Laurent. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hello @Laurent @HolowEd @Mike Struening 

Example:

Today i have a backup job that runs every day(one full and others incr).
if i change this backup job to TAPE, increase the size of File Library or not?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @Fernando Souza 

This license detailed ealier in this post covers : 

• unlimited VM numbers and unlimited VM size, no matter if you backp to disk, tape or cloud ; as long as only 6 CPUs/sockets are used on the hypervisor (your report stated you had 4 used upon 6 bought).
  • 199 PSTs / mailboxes
  • 3 TB of non-virtual commvault clients as backup source, no matter the backup target is disk, cloud or tape.

So, to completely answer your question, we need to know if your current backup job protects a Virtual Machine, or a physical. 

But, I must mitigate that, if you have an existing backup job (already compliant with this license), then no matter the backup target (tape or disk) it should not change anything, in terms of licensing.

Then, if you do so, there are considerations like streams and backup queue, as if you have 1 tape library instead of 1 disk library, the backup performance could significantly be different.