Solved

Maglib status implementation in Grafana

• 23 August 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +3

Hi All,

Has anybody worked on bringing in the Commvault maglib status and tape media usage status to Grafana dashboard? Is there anyway to showcase the usage trend and capacity reporting based on maglib utilization and publish in Grafana?

Possibly if we can take the real time data from Commvault then we can pretty much show this metric in Grafana. Any leads?

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 10 September 2021, 17:26

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I suspect that if Grafana can connect to our REST API, then you could use “GET Library Details” to capture the Libraries Parameters.
REST API Reference: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/48994_rest_api_get_library_details.html

Badge +3

I suspect that if Grafana can connect to our REST API, then you could use “GET Library Details” to capture the Libraries Parameters.
REST API Reference: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/48994_rest_api_get_library_details.html

Can you help in exposing this to Grafana? How and where can I start to test it? Based on the shared document, I see that I can get almost a lot of things as per my requirement.

I need to know about the firewall ports, API exposure and any other information that can help me capture this information in a dashboard.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

In the past I’ve only used direct SQL queries against the CV database from telegraf (client-side data collection agent) to collect commvault data. That was a few years ago so maybe there is a better way now but not up to speed on it.

Badge +3

Thank you Gents!

I am working with our Grafana and Tools team to get more insights on this. Will let you know how things progress. Do let me know if you have any other suggestions here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @SHASHA , hope all is well!  Any new details from your Grafana and tools team?

Badge +3

Hi @SHASHA , hope all is well!  Any new details from your Grafana and tools team?

Still working on it! Will share the update once I hear anything from them.

Badge +3

Is it recommended to install Grafana on the MA server? Will it potentially cause any performance degradation or any issues? Or shall I plan to install it on a separate server?

Any advice?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@SHASHA,

Grafana should be its own machine (app/service). Grafana itself only provides charting capabilities- you need a database to store the collected metrics (commonly, InfluxDB), and another lightweight tool to collect the metrics from the server (Telegraf works with InfluxDB). I would not see any issue installing telegraf on a Media Agent, it is very light weight and fast to collect metrics.

Badge

Hi @SHASHA 

i am new at this commvault ↔ influx ↔ grafana stuff. I am trying to get detailed library-capacity-data from the API. But the output of our libraries have 1 lil problem in common. I got the capacity-results as a string with the Unit, e.g “100 GB”. But influx need metrics instead of strings. But getting only the number out of the string removes the scale and its impossible to compare total-capacity against free-capacity if the unit is different (e.g. total-capacity: 10 TB and free-space: 250 GB)

my purpose behind is to establish a monitoring of “how many freespace is left” and raise a notification. If we reach 75% raise a warning or at 90% a critical. So i need a way to normalize these capacity-values. And i can see in your screenshot a graph of free space.

is there a way to tell the api to give me all capacity-values in the same unit, e.g Megabyte or Gigabyte?

Regards Mathias