Solved

Moving the DDB for a cloud storage libray to different on-premises MA

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

I have several cloud libraries, where the storage and DDB are controlled by an on-premises MA. I would like to switch several of them to a different on-premises MA.  But cannot seem to find anything here on it the docs on how to switch MAs for an existing cloud library.

icon

Best answer by DavidB 13 August 2021, 18:27

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @DavidB , can you clarify?

Are you looking to move the location the DDB is stored?

Moving the DDB is pretty straight forward (and documented here):

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/12576_moving_deduplication_database.html

Let me know if this is what you’re looking for :nerd:

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

That’s part one.  What I also want to do ultimately is to retire the origin MA.  So I’m assuming there is something else I need to do so that the second MA takes the place of the origin one completely, and I don’t have to move the backups to a different library. (The cloud library is a secondary copy).

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi @DavidB ,

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=11069.htm

you can skip the move library part here.

• If you have an UNC or NFS mounted path, or Cloud or HP StoreOnce libraries, then share the new MediaAgent with the corresponding path in library.

For more information, see Advanced - Share a Mount Path.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Set up a test system to try this out.  Shared the library, moved the DDB.  What I have left is a storage policy that still points to the original MA.  I know I can create a different policy and select the new MA.  But I’m wondering what that does to previous backups.  If I retire the original MA, do I loose access to them?  Retention is set to 120 days, and I could probably keep it around for that.  But am concerned. And would the next backup automatically convert to a full?  Thought it would.  But did not do so in my test.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

You shouldn’t lose anything.  The job is still on the library and Commvault still knows which chunk files, etc. the job/files need.

You should be able to do a small test by setting up a MagLib and DDB on MA1, running a small backup, then moving the library and DDB to MA2, and running a restore.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Migrate Cloud Library

If you have a cloud library, then share the new MediaAgent with the cloud library.

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources > Libraries > cloud_library.
  2. Right-click mount_path and then click Properties.
  3. On the Sharing tab, select the device and then click Share.
  4. In the Sharing Mount Path dialog box, select the MediaAgent, and then click OK.

The new MediaAgent is now shared with the Cloud Library.

Set the New MediaAgent as a Data Path

Once the library (disk/cloud/tape) is migrated successfully, you must make the new MediaAgent the default data path for all the Storage Policies that were associated with the old MediaAgent.

1. From the CommCell Browser, expand Policies > Storage Policies > storage_policy.
  2. Right-click the appropriate storage policy copy, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Data Path tab, and then click Add.
  4. In the Copy Data Path Candidates dialog box, select the new MediaAgent, and then click OK.
  5. Select the new MediaAgent, and then click Set Default.
  6. Click OK.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Thanks.  That was the missing piece.  Trying to be careful not to loose anything.  Pretty straightforward now that I know the pieces. 

Share the library

Move the DDB

Set the new data path.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Not sure I have a problem, or just a display issue.

After doing the following

In the mount path, share the new MA

Set the new data path default

move the DDB

If I go the Library, it still shows the “mount path” as being on the original MA.  The original test I did seemed to update this to reflect the new default data path MA.  But others I have done the same with do not.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Ran a test.  Shut down the original media agent.  All libraries currently still supposed to be on there went off-line.  but none of the moved ones did.  Ran an incremental backup, and then started an aux copy that succeeded.  I presume that as long as one of the data paths are valid, everything should work.  i still strange that when I looked at the “streams” while the auxcopy was in progress.  It still seems to think it is talking to the original MA.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@DavidB , do you want to reinvestigate this one?  I can unmark the answer.  It does sound like a display issue.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

yes. Please.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ok, unmarked.  I’ll get some MM folks to chime in.  We may have to open a support case, though we can try solving from here first :nerd:

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

One difference I do note, between that one that displays properly, and the others I have moved.  Is that for the ones still showing the old MA.  I still have that MA configured as “shared”.  In the one that displays properly, I had removed the share for the old MA.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

In mount paths, if I delete the share to the original MA, and refresh.  It changes the displayed name to the first one in the share list.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Would be nice to declare one as default as I can in the storage policy copy, but I believe I’ve solved my problem here.  Thanks for the assist regardless.  Nice to get a quick response when posting things here.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Happy to have helped, though I think credit goes to you!