Solved

MS Office365 and new Exchange Agent, Status of Tape Support

• 26 January 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Commvault Community,

i would like to see, if anyone else is facing the same Issue. We have a few customer that are still using Tapes to move weekly/monthy Backups to a save location.

With the change to “forever incremental” they are now facing a big issue to collect all the backups of the agent on to the exported tape. There is no process to generate a Synth. Full or everything likewise.

One customer is still holding on to the “old” exchange one-pass classic agent, so he don’t lose the Synth Full Options.

Another customer is manually creating a new Storage Policy Copy every month to get all the Backups on the same tape.

We have shared this problem a few months ago, we even had a talk at the GO 2019 with dev. Back then we there told there will be a solution on its way, we could expect it for SP20. Now we are at SP26 and there is still no option for these customer.

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 10 March 2022, 19:00

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I know for a fact that other customers have the same demand/whish and it is unfortunate that it is not there. I'm also not sure what is holding them off to get this sorted, would be great if someone can enlighten us what the reasoning is why this is not there yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Good question, @ADN GMBH .  I’ll get the right people to comment here.

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Mike,

any response from Dev or other Groups?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@ADN GMBH , apologies for the delay.  I just got back from a long vacation and will follow up immediately.

@Manas Mutha 

Thank you,

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Sharing the answer I received:

Please use the below documentation to configure selective copy. This is a manual process for O365/Exchange.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/146270_disaster_recovery_from_tape_media_for_exchange_mailbox.html

Apologies on the delayed response!

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi Mike,

thanks for the information, but that doesn’t solve the request from our customer.

They still can’t get a Tape Copy on a monthly basis, that contains all the objects, for a disaster recovery. Only if you re-create a sync-copy every month, this can be done, and some of the customer are doing that at the moment. But i would really like to see an automation for this.

After months of using this method, they would have a lot of tapes, and all of them would be needed to restore the current state.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I understand.  I’ll talk to @Manas Mutha and have him reply.

Thanks!

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

Mike, has accurately shared the documented steps for the manual process we have in place today when  this secondary copy to tape use case is requested.

The challenge is for Cloud/O365  applications which follow the forever incremental backup model, the method of creating a full/synthetic full and then exporting that to tape is not scalable, economical or practically efficient.

For O365 workloads rather than a secondary copy to tape,  a copy to cloud storage is recommended. This cloud storage can be of type WORM or immutable to achieve the airgap characteristic.