Solved

Possible to reset media refresh tag on tapes?

Badge +3

Hi,

Is there a way to “reset” the ‘Picked for Refresh / Prevented’ status of media? Some media was marked as prevented, and then the auto refresh criteria was changed after. How do I see which of these “Prevented” media should be auto picked now, I can only flip the manually  “prevented” media back to manually “picked”

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Bernard 19 July 2021, 16:20

View original

15 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi Nico, 

You can run the following report and review the status of your media https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=40155.htm

You can then use the command line to change the status 

Including or Excluding a Media for Refresh from the Command Line Interface

You can include a media for refresh or exclude a media from a refresh operation that was previously set up from the command line interface.

Procedure

1. Use the qlogin command to log onto the CommServe.
  2. On the command line, type the appropriate command for including or excluding the media.

Goal

Command

Example

Include a media for refresh

qoperation execscript -sn PickUnpickMediaForRefresh -si 'Pick' -si 'Barcodes_Comma_separated'

qoperation execscript -sn PickUnpickMediaForRefresh -si 'Pick' -si 'M001,M002'

Exclude a media for refresh

qoperation execscript -sn PickUnpickMediaForRefresh -si 'UnPick' -si 'Barcodes_Comma_separated'

qoperation execscript -sn PickUnpickMediaForRefresh -si 'UnPick' -si 'M003,M004'

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=10536.htm

Hope this helps answer your query

Badge +3

Thanks, @Blaine Williams . I also ran the “Active and Aged Data on Tape” report on the web console to see what the active data sizes are on the media. 

I then set the “% or less of media capacity is used’ option to 10% on the Global Secondary Copy policy, but when I pull up a list of media for refresh it still give me media that is 96% full with active data.

Does this mean that the pick list doesn’t update dynamically and I need to run that command through qlogin every time?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hey Nico, 

Are you able to show some of the report and the filters?

Badge +3

I’m gonna look at it with CV support, see what we can figure out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Nico Basson , can you share your case number so we can track it?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Nico Basson , hope all is well.  Can you share your case number so we can track it?

Thanks!

Badge +3

I was told it’s not possible to reset the status of the tape. Once you mark it as Unpick/Prevent you can only ever explicitly Pick it again. So we are basically screwed and have to hand pick tapes now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Nico Basson , can you share the case details on this?  I’d like to confirm that this is not something we can push for a CMR on (at the least).

Badge +3

Sure, I can explain the situation.

I have media refresh enabled in the Global Secondary copy which handles all the tape backups

I was changing the media capacity % in the media refresh section, but it would always give me the same amount of media for refresh, which was nearly all the media. So changing the capacity percentage to 10% for instance would not filter out media that was was 96% full. That was the original support case.

I had to get some media in for refresh though, so I had to ‘Unpick and Prevent’ basically all the media, and then pulled a report on the web console which gave me media with the least amount of active data. I then noted down the media i wanted to refresh on that report and went back to the Commcell console and manually picked those, recalled them and ran a refresh.

Now, however, I have the bulk of the media in the “Unpicked’ status, and there doesn’t seem to be a way of getting them back into the auto pick pool? I can only pick them for refresh, or unpick and prevent them from refresh. I would like to be able to set media back to “Not picked’ I guess?

Hope that makes sense.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Nico Basson , thanks for the details.  Can you share the case number where you were told this is not possible?  I want to see if we can push for a better solution (a CMR).

Badge +3

210625-439 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks, @Nico Basson .  Reaching out to the engineer who worked with you as I type!

Badge

Hello Nico,

I was the engineer assisting you on the matter.  I have put in for a ticket with my development team to see if we can get this added.

Created TRR 323316 for this request.

Badge +3

Wow thanks guys, really appreciate the effort.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Our pleasure!  @Bernard put in a TRR/CMR to get this addressed.  Granted, we have no ETA on when this will get implemented, though our TRR rate has been pretty solid!