Solved

run auxiliary copy when full backup is done

• 21 May 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +3

Hi guys, 

• I have storage policy SP_A that run daily monday-saturday incremental and sunday FULL.
  • I have a secondary copy in this SP_A that run a scheduled at MONDAY 23h a selective copy of a full weekly backup.

I wonder if I can get this behaviour: 

• the same auxiliary copy of a secondary copy with the last full backup of week but that runs just after primary copy finishes.

Is it possible get this?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 21 May 2021, 20:37

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @jparaujo , thanks for your first post!

An inline copy is close to what you are looking for, though this will run at the same time, not right after:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/expert/13935_configuring_inline_copy_on_storage_policy_copy.html

You could always set a post backup script to kick off the aux Copy.

One thing to think about/consider is how many Primary jobs are running at a time, and when they finish.  would you want to have multiple aux jobs kicking off one after another?  Or is it better that the aux copy runs alongside?

Badge +3

Hey @jparaujo , thanks for your first post!

An inline copy is close to what you are looking for, though this will run at the same time, not right after:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.22/expert/13935_configuring_inline_copy_on_storage_policy_copy.html

You could always set a post backup script to kick off the aux Copy.

One thing to think about/consider is how many Primary jobs are running at a time, and when they finish.  would you want to have multiple aux jobs kicking off one after another?  Or is it better that the aux copy runs alongside?

Thank you @Mike Struening

Now, I have just a primary copy each day,  and now I know when it finishes but, in the future this time tends to increase. 

I forgot to mention that target of primary copy is disk and the secondary copy is a tape. Because I what to backup during the week 1 full and 6 incs on a disk and copy the full to a tape. That is the idea.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

You can use Command line interface “Save As Script” and store the script on the CommServe Computer to trigger the auxiliary copy for the storage policy in question.

Edit the script file that was created and ensure that the qoperation execute command hs the full path to the xml file:

Then you create an Data Protection Alert and assign it to the subclient in question. In the Alert Criteria Select Job Succeeded

Alert Criteria

In the Notification Section you select Run Command and point it to the script that you saved in the first step.

Select the Monitored Nodes

And click Finish.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the context!

So you’re saying only one client runs to the Primary copy (and therefore, only one job goes to the Selective copy)?

If I may, what is your ultimate goal?  Does that full need to go to its Aux copy/Tape ASAP?  You can set the Aux Copy to run daily, and if there is nothing new to copy, it will just finish immediately.

Badge +3

@Commvault Marcus @Mike Struening I learned a lot. 

"So you’re saying only one client runs to the Primary copy (and therefore, only one job goes to the Selective copy)?"

yes

"If I may, what is your ultimate goal?  Does that full need to go to its Aux copy/Tape ASAP?  You can set the Aux Copy to run daily, and if there is nothing new to copy, it will just finish immediately."

My goal is copy to tape ASAP, the daily alternative is ok to me, thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it, and thanks for sharing on the community :nerd: