Solved

Synchronize All DDBs grayed out

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Guys,

I hope everybody is fine !

So I ran a health report on my Commserve and on the “DDB Performance and Status” section in the “readiness” column, it shows: Needs resync.

When I try to resynchronize the DDBs from Storage ResourcesDeduplication Engines,  the “Synchronize All DDBs” is grayed out.

The DDB status is showing active.

Does it mean that as long as it is online I can’t run the synchronization, or I missed something?

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 20 April 2022, 15:35

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

The re-sync is probably scheduled by internal systems already to run at a later time, when that happens the option is greyed out. Should start automatically.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi again @Jos Meijer :) ,

Is there a way to launch it manually?

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi 😊

Not if it's already scheduled to run.

When ddb is in sync that option should be available again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Can I check if it is already scheduled? I guess from the “Schedule Policies”.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I'm not really sure 🤔

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Is it correct that if the DDBs are already synched. The“Synchronize All DDBs” would be grayed out?

Since I ran the report a few days ago, the system scheduled job may run already.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

No when in sync it should be available for use.

But already a few days is strange, should have run already by now 🤔

Will have to think about this and check some things in a lab, but can't do that now. Probably not earlier than Tuesday. 🙁

Hopefully someone else has answered before that, otherwise I will let you know if I found an answer.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Thanks a lot @Jos Meijer, I’ll drop a comment if I find something from my side. Thanks again !

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Your welcome 🙂

Curious btw if the status changes or if the re-sync is initiated when you cycle the Commvault services of the media agent(s) hosting the ddb.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Sorry to say that I couldn't check a lab environment today, apologies for the delay.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Jos Meijer ,

No worries! Thanks for even thinking about it !

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I managed to cripple the DDB in a lab environment, where I thought the option Synchonize all DDBs became grayed out, but while re-sync initiated I was looking in a healthy environment and there the option is also grayed out.

So there must be another dependency which does not allow this option.

I did see that if there is an actual activity scheduled the DDB partition will show this status difference:

As far as the scheduling I can see that there is a task being created in the background, but this is not visible in the Schedules section. There is also no job visible in the job manager, just 2 events:

event code: 62:2534 Initiating validation/resync on [1] Deduplication Engine
event code: 62:2503 Deduplication Engine [name] succesfully validated/resync-ed

As there is no job it seems logical that there is no schedule.
As far as I can see this is only managed on commserve database level by automated processes.

So concluding, if your ddb is showing online it should be fine and running as expected.
If not the status must be different than Online.
Regarding why the option is grayed out in your and my environments whilst documentation states this can be initiated manually, no clue yet.

Edit: my gut feeling is telling me that this option is disabled when you use transactional DDB's, not able to confirm this quickly as I don't have an old ddb readily available.
Will try to reproduce this in a lab.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi @Jos Meijer ,

Thanks a lot for your effort and time, much appreciated !

So I guess as long as my DDBs are in Online state, there is nothing to worry about.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Adel BOUKHATEM 

Your welcome 😊

Correct, Online state equals OK 👍