Solved

Synth Full on Seconday Copy Storage Policy

• 21 October 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi,

we backup a File Server in China with Inc. On Saturday there is synth Full.

The Aux Copy of the Synt Full ( 1.8 TB )( to Germany is really slow.

Can i schedule the Synt Full on the secondy Storage Policy ?

In China always incremental, aux copy to germany and then in germany the Synt Full.

We need a full for the tape backups.

Regards

Peter Rupp

icon

Best answer by Scott Moseman 25 October 2021, 22:43

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

That’s an interesting question, and an interesting scenario.

A synth full is scheduled at the subclient level, and will in turn run to the Primary.

One question….is the Aux from China to Germany direct to tape, or to disk, then to tape?

Have you considered a second backup set of this client and another Storage Policy/Aux house in Germany?

Let me ask around internally to see what other people in this scenario do.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Confirmed there is no option, other than what I suggested.

You could also consider using an Incremental Storage Policy where the fulls go to Tape (in Germany) and the Incs go to disk (in China).

Again, not a perfect solution, but an optional one.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

The Aux Copy of the Synt Full ( 1.8 TB )( to Germany is really slow.

Peter,

Do you know if the Aux Copy job is slow because it’s running out of bandwidth, or if the Synth Full is transmitting through the Aux Copy on only 1 stream?

If your Client is using Indexing Version 2, you can use “Use Multiple Streams” on the Schedule Policy for the Synth Full job if it’s not already enabled.  This could help, assuming you’re not having a bandwidth issue.  If you’re out of bandwidth, this won’t really help.

Advanced Backup Options (Data)
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/62556_advanced_backup_options_data.html

Use Multiple Streams
For File System with Indexing Version 2, select this option to configure multiple streams for synthetic full backups. This option does not impact clients that still operate on Indexing Version 1 with the same schedule policy.

Thanks,
Scott