Solved

Tape Library Expansion.

• 13 October 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

Hello Team,

Currently we are using LTO 7 HPE msl6480 tape library with 4 drives. Now we are planning to add expansion module with  LTO 9 drives. We will keep 2 LTO 7 drives for any restoration request and for Aux copy we will be using New LTO 9 drives. What changes I will have to make from commvault console end in order to meet my requirement.

Note:- Our Primary copy goes to Disk Library and then to Tape(Aux copy).

icon

Best answer by SMD 18 October 2023, 09:54

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Amitj,

We will have to perform exhauastive detection to discover all the drives , remove the 2 LTO7 drives and add 2 new LTO9 drives,

refer to “ exhaustive detection “ section on the document “Expert Storage Configuration - Advanced (commvault.com)

If a single library has drives from LTO7 and LTO9 then when the Aux copy job runs it will try to use all the 4 drives and LTO9 tape will not be compatible with LTO7, that might cause problems.

I would be advisable to configure a new tape library with LTO9 drives, create a new tape copy and run Aux copies to it. Disable the existing tape copy, once all the jobs are aged off we can delete the copy as well.

Badge +1

Hello SMD,

Thank you for the quick response. but if I create new library that means I will have to create new copies for each storage policy as well? Can't I disable all the current 4 LTO 7 drives and enable it whenever there is restore request and add 6 new LTO 9 drives in the same Library and use it for the Aux copy. Please let me know if this is the right approach.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Amitj

Yes, you will have to create new copies. If you do not wish to, then we can create drive pools for the new LTO9 drives and older LTO7 drives, continue to use the new LTO9 drives for aux copy.

steps: Runs exhaustive detection after selecting the media agents from expert storage configuration, once the new drives are listed, create a new drive pool from the data path tab and add the LTO9 drives to the new drive pool. Later from the storahe policy copy/ Global secondary copy we can specify the newly create drive pool.

If you are facing difficulties configuring a drive pool, would request you to raise a ticket so that we can help you out via remote session.

Badge +1

Hello SMD thank you for the help. I have created new Master pool and configured all the new LTO 9 Drives under it. Below is the screenshot for reference. However I wanted to let you know that we have two Media Agent server and I want on 3 LTO 9 drives the active drive controller should be MA1 & on another 3 MA2. How can we do that? Also now I want to know how can we switch the Aux copy jobs to run using LTO9 drives instead of LTO7.