Solved

Unexpectedly sending data to storage meant for once per year backups

• 2 November 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Hello everyone,

I have a question about storage policy configuration.  I take incremental backups every day but Friday when I run a full backup.  Retention is:

• Incrementals: 2 weeks
  • Full backups: 30 days
  • Monthly fulls: 1 year
  • Yearly fulls: 3 years

I have a primary and secondary site but the secondary site has a much smaller media agent and I actually ran out of space.  To address this, I added CommVault Metallic cloud storage with the intent that the once per year Yearly Full backups would go to the cloud.  Just today I noticed that 10TB of data is being replicated to the Metallic Cloud storage and I can’t explain why.  Can you look at these pictures of my configuration and explain where I went wrong?

Ken

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 2 November 2021, 18:48

View original

5 replies

Badge +15

The second screen shot you posted. What options did you select under the Selective Copy Tab?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Same question as @dude .  Curious to see which jobs were selected, based upon what you configured.

Remember the retention applies to the jobs copied, but the Selective Tab defines which jobs get copied.

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

Oops, I think you just found my problem.  I’m not sure how that got selected.

Badge +15

Oops, I think you just found my problem.  I’m not sure how that got selected.

There you have it. If you want yearly fulls, then you shuld change that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Beautiful.  Keep in mind, those jobs there are (currently) considered the Last Fulls of the Month per subclient, and will stick around until newer Fulls (from 2021) exist per subclient before they age off.

You may want to manually prune off the unwanted jobs.