Solved

v11.32 - Enable WORM storage lock failed while Compliance lock already enabled

• 27 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Hello team,

In v11.32 during enabling WORM storage lock (while Compliance lock was already enabled), I’m getting the following error:

Reducing the basic or extended retention of a worm storage policy copy is not allowed.

Although I keep the same retention (30 days).

So, it’s mandatory to enable WORM storage lock at the same time with Compliance lock in order to apply?

Please for your feedback,
Nikos

icon

Best answer by Nikos.Kyrm 31 January 2024, 16:24

View original

5 replies

Badge

Hi Nikos,

I’d recommend checking Command Center and going to Manage > Plans > VM Plan > Backup Destinations > copy-to-blob and then check on the existing “Retention Rules” and whether there is any extended retention configured.

WORM Lock requires everything to have the same retention, and cannot use any extended retention.

Since you already have Compliance Lock enabled, the action of enabling WORM Lock cannot automatically remove any extended retention that you may have already configured.

It’s possible that the Old retention: New retention as seen in the screenshot above has the same basic 1 month retention, but there could be extended retention in the background that we’re not seeing here which is preventing the option from being enabled.

If you do have extended retention configured, you’ll need a support ticket so that we can discuss how it can be temporarily removed. Once the extended retention is removed, you should be able to re-enable Compliance Lock and enable WORM Lock at the same time.

If you don’t have extended retention configured, I’d suggest logging a support ticket and we’ll need logs from the CommServe and a copy of the CommServe database so that we can further review what’s going on here.

Kind Regards,

Melissa Davies

Badge +3

Hi @Nikos.Kyrm , You’ll have to unset Compliance lock and then re-enable the WORM lock (which will enable Compliance lock again). To unset Compliance lock, you can run this workflow

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/forms/?tab=0&workflowName=Request%20Authorization%20Code%20to%20Disable%20WORM%20Copy%20-%20v11.32%20and%20Later&workflowId=2946

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

Thank you both for your replies.

@Melissa D The extended Retention rules, for copy-to-blob, is disabled.

@Abhishek Narulkar I will try your workaround, but when click your link, Im getting the message that workflow does not exist.

Thank you in advance,
Nikos

Userlevel 2
Badge +13

I checked in latest documentation that if compliance lock is enabled, need to contact Commvault support and obtain the authorization code to disable compliance lock and then enable WORM storage lock.

https://documentation.commvault.com/v11/essential/enabling_worm_storage_and_retention_for_cloud_storage.html

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Nikos.Kyrm 

11.32+ you no longer need to contact support, can do it from here: https://support.commvault.com/AdditionalInfo/DisableComplianceLockRequest