Solved

what type of Cloud library for Scality ?

• 27 September 2021
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

i have a question about the creation of a cloud library.

We have a scality ring as a backend. We have select S3 compatible storage for create the library.

in the documentation i found the below information :

• For another vendor that supports Amazon S3 such as Scality, you must select Amazon S3 from Type, and then, under Access Information, enter the credentials of that vendor.

i have a doubt about selecting amazon S3 in the type of cloud library instead of S3 compatible storage because i tried to create a cloud library for testing in amazon s3 type. the request of creating the library don’t work.

please advice

Kind regards,

icon

Best answer by Laurent 27 September 2021, 16:52

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hey @christophe ,

Scality RING is supported as an S3 vendor: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/9237_supported_cloud_storage_amazon_s3_vendors.html

Can you confirm the error/issue that you experienced on configuration? - Can you check the CVD log of the MA accessing the Storage at the time of the configuration?

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi Michael,

yes, scality is supported as an amazon s3 vendor but what kind of cloud library should i select ?

s3 compatible

amazon s3 standard

scality ring

in the documentation (like i have mentionned before) amazon s3 is mentionned instead of Scality ring or S3 compatible type of library.

We ask scality and they said S3 compatible should be prefered instead of scality ring type of library.

regards

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @christophe ,

Are you trying to configure through (old) console or through web admin console ?

Web console is recommended.

Through web admin console : 

Add cloud storage / admin webconsole

If vendor recommended this, then select this type.

Amazon S3 is the ‘real’ Amazon S3 storage, and would allow you to provide extra S3 Cloud information like region, storage class, etc (as below), which is not the case for the kind of devices that use the S3-type protocol to access the storage, as they are physical and on ‘your’ location(s),

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

i’m using the FR20.11.64 version and in the command center i don’t have the option to select the storage class for S3 compatible storage.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

..and this is normal, because (sorry if my explanation were too confusing) Storage Class only applies to Amazon S3 storage.:wink: It does not apply to S3 compatible storage type.

So, from your screenshot, everything looks good. Don’t forget to name your Cloud device, and you have to input the ‘Service Host’ which will be your Scality Ring in S3 object mode. You can get that information from the Scality Ring administration interface.  

You (or your Scality/storage administrator)  will have to create a new account, a bucket (or whatever it is called in Scality), then get the credentials and input that in Commvault admin console to declare this new S3-compatible storage library.

Unfortunately as Scality does not expose their documentation to non registered users/customers, I can’t go further to assist you. I use another vendor, but they have almost always the same procedures for such.

Extra doc information : 

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11/article?p=9157.htm

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

Hi,

our storage team get a feedback from scality and we have to create cloud libraiiries with S3 compatible storage for on premise cloud storage. 

We have asked Commvault professional services team to confirm that. we are waiting for feedback.

thanks for your help

kind regards,

christophe