Solved

where to config "preferred setting" in the "Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting" of the Library properties

• 2 September 2021
  • 9 replies

Badge +1

I’d like to consult where to config “preferred setting” mentioned in “Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting” option of the library properties?

thank you in advance

Best regards

icon

Best answer by Josh Perkoff 17 September 2021, 16:26

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @DanielDai 

This option refers to the mount path selected as preferred in data paths.

Library Properties (Mount Paths)

• Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting

Specifies the mount path that must be picked for write operations. (By default this option is cleared .)

When selected, the mount path set as the 'preferred' mount path for the MediaAgent (selected in the data path), is picked for write operations.

When cleared, the mount path is picked based either on the 'spill and fill' or the 'fill and spill' option set for the library.

Note: Select this option to prevent write operations from occurring over a network.

Data Paths for [Storage Policy]

• Status

Whether the data path is set as the preferred data path in the storage policy copy. The icon includes a tick mark, when it is set as the preferred data path.

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

I’m sorry for my late reply @Stuart Painter , I’ve been testing the question. I find two positions that set data paths in CV, as following screenshot:

picture 1:

picture 2:

But the “Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting” option doesn’t seem to affect the selection result of data paths. It doesn’t work. I’m not sure whether the preferred setting that mentioned in the option is the position of picture 1 or 2.

My CommVault version is V11 SP22, I look forward to hearing from you, thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@DanielDai , the 2 screenshots you have provided show similar settings at different levels.

• The first screenshot allows you to point a specific subclient to use a specific data path (within the defined data paths of the Storage Policy).
  • The second screenshot is the list of Data Paths for the Storage Policy itself, which will apply to ALL jobs pointing to Storage Policy.

So if you check that box, then the jobs to that SP should try to use the checked off mount path first (and if not available, try another),

Let me know if that clarifies.

Badge +1

I test the “Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting” option in my lab environment. Assume that there were several local disks (or LUNs) and several network paths in a disk library, when the “Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting” option was checked, local disks would be used (network path wouldn’t be used). That is, the meaning of “the preferred setting” refers to local disk path. We can’t manually select specific local path in the disk library, we can only choose to use local path instead of network path for backup (the function seems to be useful in the “Lan Free” scenario) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@DanielDai , I’m having some talks with internal folks about this.  I’ll either respond or have someone here do so once we have an answer.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @DanielDai ,

The option for configuring a Share Path as preferred can be found in the sharing properties of the specific MountPath you want to mark as a preferred data path.  As shown in this sample from my lab:

To enable this option:

1. Navigate to Storage Resources → Libraries → <Your Disk LIbrary
  2. Right-click on the MountPath you want to make preferred and select “Share Mount Path”
  3. Select the share path you wish to mark as preferred
  4. Click the EDIT button
  5. Enable the “Preferred” check box in the path properties

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Badge +1

HI  @Josh Perkoff @Mike Struening

Thank you for your professional reply. by configuring sharing properties of the specific MountPath and “Select mount path for MediaAgent according to the preferred setting” option (when there is network path in a disk library, the second option is required at the same time), It is feasible to manually choose specific MountPath in a disk library as preferred path.

Hello @DanielDai ,

The option for configuring a Share Path as preferred can be found in the sharing properties of the specific MountPath you want to mark as a preferred data path.  As shown in this sample from my lab:

To enable this option:

1. Navigate to Storage Resources → Libraries → <Your Disk LIbrary
  2. Right-click on the MountPath you want to make preferred and select “Share Mount Path”
  3. Select the share path you wish to mark as preferred
  4. Click the EDIT button
  5. Enable the “Preferred” check box in the path properties

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Hello @DanielDai 

This setting is used to specify the preferred transfer paths and MediaAgents of specific MountPaths.  This does not control which MountPath is preferred (this is a separate setting), but which MediaAgents are preferred for using specific MountPaths.   Priority for selecting actual MountPaths is set using the options “Prefer Mount Paths with more free space” and “Spill and Fill” options.

The setting you are requesting clarification on is intended to allow users to control which MediaAgents are preferred for specific data transfers to specific paths (normally this will default either to the first listed local path, or the first listed Regular UNC/NFS path if no local paths exist).

Let me know if you have further qeustions.

Badge +1

Hello @Josh Perkoff ,

Well noted, thank you for your detailed guide.