Solved

Windows MA to migrate to Linux MA

• 3 September 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hello !

In the next days, I have the opportunity to replace an existing Windows MA (with VSA) with a Linux MA (also with VSA).

The windows MA has a local (internal) disk library hosting deduplicated backups of a single storage policy. The target Linux MA also has internal disks library + an LTO8 tape library.

Both MAs are online and can communicate over the IP network.

It looks possible to perform a move of the DDB of the windows MA to the Linux MA, but it is not possible to perform a move of the windows Mount Path to a linux server.

I would like to keep my existing Storage policy (that of course can be edited for this purpose) and existing backups so they could age normally (ideally) without manual action at the expected end date of retention.

Has anyone already performed in real such action ?

How have you done this ? Or would you ?

Of course, I can create a new storage policy with deduplication targetting the linux MA, and attach all the clients to this new SP, but this is what I wish to avoid :smile:

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 3 September 2021, 13:43

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Laurent 

For the data located on the Windows MA, you could add another copy to the existing storage policy and point this to the new local storage on the Linux MA and aux copy the data to this new copy.

Once the aux copy is completed, you can promote the new copy as the primary copy and disable the copies on the Windows MA to prevent these from being used.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for replying @Stuart Painter . 

I’m just created such copy and inititated an auxcopy job. Let’s see on monday for the result ! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Just updating : it worked this way.

After that, I was not very confident about the synchronization of the StoragePolicy copies that were initially linked to that Primary that became not primary, so I edited the SPCs and made sure to check the right Primary as the SPC source and not the ‘depromoted’ one.

Thanks ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Thanks for the update @Laurent , I’m pleased to hear this has worked out for you.

Thanks,

Stuart