Question

For V2 Vm backup in 2 different groups

• 3 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

hello all,

was wondering if there is a way to tell if 1 VM is in 2 different VM groups which will lead to the VM being backed up twice? may be a report or alerts? 

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi G-Dubs,

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a report/alert available but please find attached listvms.zip that my colleague & myself just created for you. 

When VM backup passes ‘Discover’ phase, it will update the ‘Subclient’ properties if it’s different from the previous backup.

Example VM: 2016T.

It was in 2016T subclient/VM group then added to newSubclient. Old 2016T subclient/vm group still has the VM defined. 

Backup for newSubclient passed the discovery phase, which updated the vm properties of 2016T (from 2016T to newSubclient). 

When you run the query, it will list Virtual Machine Name and its ‘Discovered subclient id’

If you see more than one line there, that means it was discovered by two different subclients/VM groups at some point. 

Once you find out the VM, please go to VM backup history and find which VM group/subclient are backing up the VM. 

How to run: RDP to the Commserve, open CMD, go to Base folder, type qlogin.

Then login with your Commcell console username/password, then run the query as the screenshot above. ​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

Limitation: 

• Please note it’s not just for v2 index VM (it will list v1 index VM as well) and it was only tested on a lab (it’s not an official version, we just ran a SQL query to help you out).
  • Since the subclient properties are updated when it pass ‘discovery’ phase (not after backup completes), having two/more subclient id there doesn’t necessarily mean you have [backups] in different subclients (it may just pass discovery phase but fail in backup but since it was ‘discovered’ in different subclients, you will see the subclient IDs there). 
  • If you have duplicates (e.g VM is in subclient A and B. It was backed up in subclient A > then B > then backed up in subclient A again), you won’t see the duplicate (it will only list subclient A and B, not A > B > A). 
  • There could be other limitations we’re unaware of (again it’s not an official version). 

If you need anything else (more tailored to meet your needs), please raise a case with our Server team. They may ask you to contact our Professional service though (custom reports/alerts may occur an additional charge). 

Thank you. 

Kind regards,

Jiye Lee

Badge +3

This is great, thank you Jiye Lee, the main reason I’m asking is I have 61 subclients (1 for each DS) and a handful of other backupsets  where each other backupset has 4-5 sublients ~3500 VMs, we have 5 total vcenters.  Will this listvms.zip show all VMs under a specific vcenter

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hi G-Dubs,

Unfortunately I didn’t put an option to filter it via vCenter client name so it will list ‘ALL’ VMs under all vCenter clients.

Or, can you log a case and send me a message with the case ID? 

I can probably stage your DB here and find out which VMs are discovered by multiple subclients (because listvms list VMs even if they’re in one subclient). 

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Jiye Lee 

Badge +3

Jiye Lee, opened case: 230310-583