Solved

OVM migration or cross platform conversion to vsphere

• 16 September 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

Customer/Partner needs to migrate Oracle VM (OVM )  from Oracle VM to Vsphere ESXi.

1. Since Commvault doesn’t support cross platform conversion from OVM to Vsphere , can we take the full filesystem + system state backup of the OVM ( not vm image or intelligent snap ) and use virtualize me option to restore it to Vsphere ?

2.  When we use virtualize me option to take backup do I need to take one single full backup as a single Job, or can we take a Full backup earlier ( few days before ) and take a incremental backup on the  actual day of cut over and execute the restore. Does virtualize me supports a full + incremental backup taken by two separate backup job in different time to allow restoration . 

If yes this will help us to take a full backup earlier and use a quick incremental backup to reduce migration time at the actual cut over day.

icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 16 September 2022, 10:01

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @lawysy 

Yes, you need a file system agent backup with system state, but based on the 1-Touch Backup method.

As far as I know there are no limitations to Full backup only, you should be fine with full and incremental in a cycle. Not sure though if existing Synthetic Full's will cause issues when 1-Touch Recovery is enabled afterwards.

I would personally enable 1-Touch Recovery, make a full backup and let the schedule perform the next backups. Then perform a test P2V restore

Badge +5

@Jos Meijer ,

Thanks for your timely reply and have a good day and weekend.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Your welcome @lawysy 

Have a great day 🙂