Question

Prevent FS backup from being started when using VSA is used (Application Discovery)

• 2 November 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

In our environments we install a restore-only agent on all systems and we use application discovery to deploy application agents automatically. This works pretty well and Commvault automatically starts creating backups through the attached server plan. But besides that the automatic appliation discovery installs and configures application agents it also activates and enabled the FS agent. In case you also use VSA level backups it results in a backup of the file-system being created twice and unwanted impact on application performance. 

So my question is pretty straightforward: can you prevent the FS agent becoming configured once application discovery pushes out the application agents? 

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , looking into this for you.  My expectation is that we need it for some modules that the VSA piece utilizes, though I want to get you a definite answer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , heard back from our SME.

We need the File System Core (Installed by way of VMware tools) installed for Application-Aware and the installation of the File System Advanced and Application IDA as IntelliSnap functionality is required and called upon.

With that said, perhaps you can script in disabling the FS iDA for backup activity?

Let me know if that covers your concern.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

But I would assume this to be the case only in case you actually use Application-Aware, right. We have tried to use it but it doesn't seem to be working because it doesn't seem to be supported in case you use VCD and it comes with a few caveats.

Do mind I was referring to "Application Discovery" not AppAware. We have already decided that we need to do some additional testing to get a more clear picture. Do you happen to know if there is a possibility in Command Center which allows you to de-configure a File server?  We only see Retire which is a step too far because it decommissions the client entirely and also removes the software from the client. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg I definitely think I conflated the 2.

The good news is, there is a deconfigure option via the command line:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/4864_releasing_license_deconfiguring_on_client_using_command_line_interface_01.html

It’s done via the release_client_license_template.xml file.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening doesn't sounds very user friendly to share this method to my customers who are no experts. Will have a discussion with my team, but I think we will open a CMR to introduce soft retire besides hard retire which decommissions a client entirely 

but do you know if there is a method which prevents/stops the FS client from being configured once "Application Discovery” pushes out for example a SQL agent?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Onno van den Berg , sounds like a wise idea.  Let me know the CMR number once created,

Regarding the method to prevent the FS client being confiigured, I don’t, but let me ask internally.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I heard back from our SME who is not aware of any method, though I would ask the engineer when you create the CMR case to track this down as well.  Might be 2 CMRs.

My other idea was to disable backup activity on the FS agent, but I’m not seeing any command line method for that either.