Solved

VM socket license not being released

• 24 March 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

I have a customer who upgraded 4 of their Hyper-V hosts to new hardware (2 sockets per host).

I installed the VSA on the 4 new hosts and released the licenses on the old hosts.
2 of the hosts have not reported back to the Commserve indicating they’ve been released. I retired the clients, with no change.

I restarted Commserve Services and ran a Data Aging Job.

The license summary report is still reporting over use.

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 24 March 2021, 12:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @Mauro 

Thanks for the question, this comes up quite often, so a great post to share with the Community!

VM Socket licenses are consumed when a VM Full backup is performed using a particular Hypervisor host.

The socket license(s) will be held by that VM on that Hypervisor host until a new Full backup is performed with that VM located on another Hypervisor host.

Once all VMs have Full backups on another Hypervisor host, the socket license will be released.

So, you will need to make sure that Full backups are performed for all VMs on a new Hypervisor host that were previously protected and hosted on the decommissioned Hypervisors.

Thanks,

Stuart

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Stuart

Thanks so much for the prompt feedback. Will convert to full this evening and advise the result tomorrow morning.

Regards,
Mauro

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi Stuart

Thanks so much for your assistance. Rerunning all jobs as Fulls resolved the issue and released the license.

Regards,
Mauro