Solved

VMware Cloud Foundation VCF4 migration

Badge +2
how to do a commvault migration from VCF3 to VCF4 ?
icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 18 August 2022, 21:58

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @amina,

Thanks for the question!

Could you provide a bit more detail? Are you looking to use Commvault move VMs from a VCF3 to a VCF4 environment, or are you upgrading in-place from 3 to 4?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Interesting question and the only think I can think of is that you are asking for the ability to perform a cross VCF VM migration to be executed via Commvault? 

Badge +2

@Onno van den Berg  @Damian Andre  Morning, yes

the migration consists of building a new VCF environment with new servers and this environment will be used to receive the VMs currently in the VCF3 environment.
what are the prerequisites for not losing the client groups and the storage policies ?

we have 3 site 

1st site witch 6 Media agent + 1vm commserve + 1 vm VSA

2nd site wirh 9 Media agent + 1vm commserve + 1 vm VSA

3 one with 3 media agent + 1vm commserve + 1 vm VSA

3 CommServe LiveSync SQL

CommVault Version

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I'm having some difficulties understanding what you mean because you can add the new VCF environment to your current Commvault installation and depending on your architecture you can use all of the existing resources without having to introduce new client groups and storage policies. 

Badge +2
@Onno van den Berg ok thank you. do you have documentation or links to refer me that explains how to do the migration
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am having the same confusion as Onno.

As I am reading the context, all VM’s including Commvault VM’s are migrated and only the new VCF needs to be configured in Commvault… The rest stays the same.

I see no need to rebuild a new Commvault environment when networking / routing is configured correctly.

Unless your new VCF isn’t allowed to connect with an old infrastructure? In other words a Green Field scenario is the goal.

Please elaborate what you want to achieve in the end result.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
@Onno van den Berg ok thank you. do you have documentation or links to refer me that explains how to do the migration

Maybe it's time to call in professional services to assist you in this journey! 

Badge +2

thank you all, I will check how VCF must be configured in Commvault

Badge +2

Hello,

I come back to you with an answer concerning my environment. since we are migrating the VMs gradually, we need to create the vcenter and associate the address on VCF4 with it. then create sub client and point it to new vcenter.

the difficulty here lies in the gradual migration of vm . which forces us to keep the two environments VCF 3 and VCF4 for a while so as not to lose the backup of all our vms

Thank you all
Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I understand, yes due to the different vcenter config in Commvault the backups are placed in different backup sets and therefore are not a continuation of the old backup cycles.

Indeed you need to keep both vcenter configurations until the migration has been completed and business requirements are met with backups for the new vcenter configuration. Then you can delete the backup from the old vcenter configuration if necessary or let data aging remove backups according to retention settings.

Badge +2

Hi

I wanted to clone client dataset with workflowI selected client source from my VCF3to target client on VCF4. I got this error message,could someone explain to me why?

Badge +2

@Onno van den Berg @Jos Meijer  thank you to help