Solved

AWS-Commvault-Couchbase port requirements.

• 1 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

We are running 11.28.36 in AWS environment.  The commserve sits in a Management VPC and Couchbase is running in our Production VPC.  In the Production VPC, we have a media server (proxy server) that runs VM and Cassandra backups to a local S3 bucket.

I have the URL for the Couchbase API Server and an admin userid/pass.

I am looking for what ports are required from the Proxy(Media server) to the Couchbase server(s).  We have a tunnel setup so that we can load the Couchbase software on the required servers, 

Thanks

Chuck

icon

Best answer by ChuckC 8 December 2023, 20:14

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @ChuckC 

Thanks for the great question, the following goes over the Couchbase setup and it states the following: 
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/essential/151422_complete_big_data_guided_setup_for_couchbase.html

Add the Couchbase Cluster

When you add a cluster, an instance, an app, and a default subclients are automatically created. You can create additional subclients for content that has different backup requirements.

1. On the Add a big data app page, from the Application type list, select Couchbase.

2. In Cluster name, enter a name for the cluster.

3. From the Access nodes list, select the server or servers that you want to be data access nodes for Couchbase.

4. In Port number, type the port number used for Couchbase connection.

This tells me the port can be any number set by the admins from Couchbase and you are just simply informing Commvault how to talk. 

Please advise if this helps answer you questions.

NOTE - the Maintenance version you are running is very old ( just over a year ). 
Before setting up any new agents we recommend upgrading to the latest Maintenance release before taking those steps to make sure it goes as smooth as passible. As of writing this FR28.91 is on the cloud and available for download. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +6

Albert,

Thanks.  We have plans to upgrade to 11.32.35 after the holidays.  So if I understand, I say CB Admin, I want to use 8091 to communicate to the cluster.  Then I will get security to open that port Bi-directional (????) to the CV agent.  Since the media agent, S3 target and CB cluster are all in the same VPC, do I need Commvault port 8400-8403 open to the cluster?

Thanks

Chuck

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @ChuckC 

ports 8400-8403 are used for Commvault to talk to Commvault.

In this case the access node has CV installed on it but is communicating to Couch Base so the CV ports are not required.

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +6

Thank You Albert,  You have been helpful.  This AWS Couchbase backup implementation has/is been confusing even when reading the Docs.  Not really knowing AWS fully and not being a DBA there are things I still am not sure of.  A good example: DBAs have given us an IP.  This IP is an endpoint.  The Couchbase nodes are not EC2s that you can install the Couchbase package.  We will work our way thru these items the best we can.

Again, thanks for your help.

Chuck