Skip to main content

I configured AWS EC2 intellisnap and backup copy, primary snap Retain snap by number of job as 1. Run daily incr, weekly full and monthly full schedule. 

I could see Commvault retain all snapshot from June 16, has more than 6 snapshot for each volume. Maybe some daily incr. is waiting for some weekly full job.

Commvault already provide DDB, daily incr. and daily full should be no more different.  Shall we use daily full and weekly full, or what is best practice for backup type for AWS intellisnap.

Correct, commvault will hold snapshots for all incremental jobs until the cycle is closed (i.e a new full backup is run). You can’t recover from a single incremental job as data from the other snapshots is required to perform the restore. Also - the snapshots can’t be deleted until the backup copy us run.

The Data Retention Forecast and Compliance  report tells you why a job (and associated snapshots) are being held.

I highly recommend checking out the AWS cloud architecture guide as it contains more info and best practices for a variety of cloud applications: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/others/pdf/public-cloud-architecture-guide-for-amazon-web-services11-20.pdf

thanks, I will spend time to review the log pdf file. For current issue, better to change daily incr. to daily full?

Correct.  If you want 1 day of retention to mean 1 day of backups, then the jobs need to all be Fulls.