Question

Correct order of virtual VSA SCSI Controller IDs for hotadd usage ?

• 13 July 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Good morning,

according to the BOL arcticle below, it is crucial to check the order of SCSI ID numbers used for a virtual VSA in VMware.

HotAdd Transport for VMware (commvault.com)

The IDs used in my environment are different to the IDs in the BOL article.
Can someone tell me whether it is posible, that I ran into the described situation ?

The high number (1184) mentioned in the article is assigned to the ethernet controller, while SCSI Port Numbers seem to be in ascending order also digit-wise.
we’re also facing sporadic file access errors as described in the arcticle, each time for different VMs 

BR
Klaus

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk 

The SCSI ports appear to be wrong. As per document, you need to assign port 1184 to SCSI1. Please make the changes and observe the backups.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

@johanningk 

To add on above suggestion you can order them in below manner too. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rajiv , @nishas,
you’re telling me, that the IDs to be assigned are hard coded in Vmware’s vStorage API?
Otherwise I don’t understand your answer.
Even though, I’d need to change the number for the Ethernet Controller as well.
What number is to be used for that one instead ?

To be honest, it’s hard to believe, that the controller IDs required, are used for diffrent types of controllers when assigned by Vmware during VM creation process.

I can believe that the order of the IDs used might be different, but not, that the IDs to be used are fix.
Otherwise they should be reserved by VMware for SCSI Controller use only 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

@johanningk 

To add on above suggestion you can order them in below manner too. 

I understand this as an example: in case of the IDs as used above, a reordering is required as stated below. If different IDs are assigned to the SCSI Controller, the resulting / optimal order can differ to the screenshot. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk 

You are right, port 1184 is assigned to Ethernet and not to SCSI, so even with digit by digit sequence, these looks to be correct. That was a miss from my end, I apologize for that. 

Could you please share the exact error you are getting while using hotadd? Also, how many VM’s you are backing up using the above proxy/access node at a time? 

Best,

Rajiv Singal