Solved

function of additional setting : bEnableVSASnapSynthFull ?

• 23 October 2023
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello,
I observed, that using a schedule to initiate a syntheticFull, with run incremental backup before selected, against a Vmware virtualization subclient (vcenter - vmware - backupset - subclient) is failing.

running syntheticFull only, triggers synFull backups for all protected VMs of that subclient.

can someone explain the purpose of this additional setting: bEnableVSASnapSynthFull ?

according to the documentation this is set to a default of: false.

BR
Klaus

icon

Best answer by Siva Kumar Tirupathi 31 October 2023, 05:46

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk 

The additional setting is used for Synthetic full for Intellisnap backups. More information is here: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=%22bEnableVSASnapSynthFull%22&id=4274

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

good day @Rajiv,

this doesn’t help.

I’m able to trigger a synFull backup against a Virtualization subclient without this key defined or set to true (the default is documented to be false).

the link provided does not include any additional hint compared to the expaination in the JavaGUI.

I’m still unsure what is the expected / desired effect of this key.

BR
Klaus

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk Are you running normal VSA backups or you are running Intellisnap enabled backups?  You can check the same in sub client properties > Advanced > Intellisnap options. 

If you are not running Intellisnap enabled backups, then the key serves no purpose and the backup will run normally since the key is specifically for Intellisnap enabled backups.

Best,

Rajiv Singal 

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rajiv 

Yes I’m running IntelliSnap backups on this vCenter client.

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @johanningk 

If you are running an Intellisnap enabled backup for vCenter, synthetic full itself is not required since intellisnap is taking a full snapshot at the hardware itself and synthetic full uses incremental backups. if you are already taking full snapshots, incrementals are not required and hence synthetic full as well.

As per the documentation: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/37172_backup_types.html Synthetic full is not mentioned as the backup type  with Intellisnap enabled Virtual Server (VMware).

Hope this helps and simplifies your query. 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rajiv,

The definition of this key explains, that is enables SynFull to VSA sublclients,

You left me confused, stating that SynFull are not supported with IntelliSnap. 

bEnableVSASnapSynthFul
Enables synthetic full backups for a snap-enabled subclient on a VMware or Hyper-V instance with the Virtual Server Agent. Configure this additional setting on the CommServe system and set the value to true to enable synthetic full backups.

and I know, that an incremental Snapshot backup represents the full data of the protected objects, but enables Incremental backupCopies to a primary storage policy copy.

Synthetic Full are running against Primary Copies only (not Snap Primaries)

triggering a Synfull against the vCentter subclient leads to Synfull backup of all covered VMs discovered using the vCenter subclient.
This also applies to the IntelliSnap enabled subclients used.

Currently I’m not able to schedule a Synfull with incremental bakup before SynFull on IntelliSnap enabled subclients.

I was wondering whether this key might help and unsure, whether the Synfull is waiting until the incremental backup copy has finished before being triggered.

Otherwise I have to create synFull schedules disjunct from the incremental backups and give enough time for the backup copy to complete.

If there was a method to synchronize the Incremental Snap + BackupCopy + Synfull I’d love to hear about it.

rgds
Klaus

Badge +2

Hello @johanningk 

What is the version of commvault service pack or feature release? 

And also, can you please share if there is any error message\failure reason when running this schedule? 

I observed, that using a schedule to initiate a syntheticFull, with run incremental backup before selected, against a Vmware virtualization subclient (vcenter - vmware - backupset - subclient) is failing.

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hello @Siva Kumar Tirupathi 

We’re currently operating on V11.30.64.
running SynFull against an IntelliSnap enabled virtualization subclient simply triggers the synfull of all protected VMs.
Using a Schedule with the option: run incremental before synFull is failing.

Error Code: [19:586]
Description: Synthetic Full cannot run because no Incremental or Differential backup was run after last Full backup for the subclient.

but maybe this was related to delayed backup copies ? I will check this again ,,,,

but the second part is also important to me: 
what is the behavior in case of an Incr + SynFull against an Intellisnap subclient ?
is the synfull triggered after backupCopy ? or after the snapBackup ?

and 

is a SynFull backup consistent if additional incremental Snap + backupCopy jobs are excuted while still running ?
a SynFull takes 10+hrs for some of the VMs and backups are currently triggered 4 times a day.

BR
Klaus

Badge +2

Hi @johanningk 

This additional setting bEnableVSASnapSynthFull is enabled by default so you don’t need to set this key to enable Synthfull backup for VSA IntelliSnap Subclients. 

We don’t support running Incremental snap backup before running synthfull and this is documented here. 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/102092_synthetic_full_backups_for_vm_centric_vsa.html

• You cannot run incremental backups as part of a synthetic full backup operation. When you initiate a synthetic full backup, if you choose the option to run an incremental backup before or after the synthetic full backup, only the synthetic full backup operation runs.

Please create two different schedules one for Incremental snap and inline backup copy and another for Synthfull alone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This is a very old key dating back to V10 from memory. I’m not sure if its currently used or ignored, but it allowed synthetic full backups to be run on backup copied data. I.e you do incremental snapshot jobs, backup copy, then run synthetic fulls of the backup copied data (on the primary copy). This avoided you from having to do traditional full backup copy jobs from the snap.

You of course, cannot run a synthetic full backup on a snapshot copy - has to be backup copied first.