Question

Hyper-V - Add VM Disk Filters - no browse option, as in VmWare

• 29 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hello

We are migrating one of our VmWare clusters to Hyper-V (licensing grounds -  Broadcom)

We have disk filters traditionally on our DB servers, that also do DB Agent backups, to save backing up the data twice

In the subclient under Vmware, in the VM Disk Filters, you get a ‘Browse’ option, that allows me to select the SCSI ID of a server

In the subclient under Hyper-V, no browse exists, just ‘Add’

Now I can choose a ‘Virtual device node’, but that doesn’t seem to allow me to choose a client, so I assume this is global

The other option is ‘Virtual Disk name’, which scares me, as this is why I use the SCSI ID, as my VM guys often move servers around, which would make this break!

If anyone has experience and ideas on this subject of what we could do, it would be much appreciated

Thanks

Mark

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @jracjdb2 

You should be able to add disks either based on name or the controler/location combo: 

Please advise if this is the solution you are looking for

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Albert

Thanks for your reply

As I understand it, the ‘Virtual Device Node’, does not allow me to actually specify an actual server
So this would be ‘global’, across all the servers is the job

is that correct?

Thanks

Mark

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello @jracjdb2 

Using the Disk name filter is going to be the best answer for you here and you can do the disk name so it can move around without causing issues if needed: 

• For example, you can filter disks using patterns such as VMName.vhd or VMName.vhdx.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/essential/creating_disk_filters_for_hyper_v.html

If you still don’t want to use the name filter then you will need to create 1 subclient for all your VM's that are being protected completely and then a new sbclient for each special case and use the controller to pick the disks. 

Kind regards
Albert Williams