Solved

Not able to Discover Amazon EC2 instances via VSA Proxy for snapshot backups

• 23 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Hi Team,

I am receiving below error when i am trying to discover amazon EC2 instances in CommVault using  . My media agent ip-*03a is present in Private subnet and has IAM role with EC2 Full access and S3 Full access attached .

IAM Role which is attached to media agent -

Regards,Mohit

icon

Best answer by Mohit Chordia 23 March 2022, 06:01

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

9 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

What are the Ports which would require to be opened in order to discover AWS regions in backup sub client .

When i enable All traffic ( 0.0.0.0/0 ) both inbound and outbound then my discovery works just fine .

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

As soon as INTERNET(HTTPS-443) is enabled on my access node/media agent Browse is working but i cant enable HTTPS - 443 INTERNET on my access nodes/media agents due to security concerns and they are in PRIVATE SUBNETS.

Any suggestions how does access node discover AWS Regions/EC2 instances without internet access on MA/AN ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mohit Chordia , can you open a support case for this?  I see a case we have with this same exact issue that is live NOW and they provided a special update (UpdateBundle_Build1108136_Form2486) though we should have support look and determine if this is right for you first.

Share the case number with me so I can track it as well.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Mike Struening Thank you for response . This is a POC Lab Environment with temp license , i don't think i will be able to raise support case for this .

I need to understand if Iam missing anything here . 

Do we really need internet access on Private Subnet VSA proxy for Browse & Discovery to work ?

Do we need to create any type of VPC Endpoint for Access node present in Private Subnet to perform Browse and Discovery ?

Regards, Mohit

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

Some Logs from VSA Proxy  :

vsbkp--

660  8c0   02/23 13:46:15 3117 AmazonCompute::GetAccountId() - Exception - Amazon.Runtime.AmazonServiceException: A WebException with status ConnectFailure was thrown. ---> System.Net.WebException: Unable to connect to the remote server ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

This doc says that --

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.23/expert/30944_getting_started_with_virtual_server_agent_for_amazon.html

The access node must have access to the regional and global STS endpoints. For more information about AWS service endpoints, see AWS service endpoints on the AWS documentation site.

• Global STS endpoints: The service endpoint is https://sts.amazonaws.com.

• Regional STS endpoints: For example, https://sts.us-east-1.amazonaws.com, to back up instances on us-east-1.

If my access node is in Private Subnet and doesn't have internet configured how can it access these endpoints without internet connectivity . 

Also , what are the CIDR range for these endpoints if i have to allow them in security group ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mohit Chordia , following up on some open threads.

Were you able to get an answer for this?  Based on what you shared, your issue is due to lack of internet access.

Userlevel 3
Badge +11

@Mike Struening 

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes , this is resolved . Need to configure VPC end points + some additional settings at Commvault side .

Regards,Mohit

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for sharing, as always!!