Solved

Openstack based cloud instance backups - failing

• 2 June 2021
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

My openstack based public cloud instance backups which I am trying to configure for the first time, keeps on failing with error : To back up an OpenStack instance, select a Virtual Server Agent proxy that is running as an instance in the OpenStack environment.

I have even tried using a seperate VSA instance deployed on my tenant but error still remains. What could be the issue.

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 2 June 2021, 22:17

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @DipendraSC,

It sounds like the proxy where you installed the virtual server agent package cannot detect itself running in an OpenStack instance - it would query the bios and other environment variables to figure that out. You mention public cloud - are you in control of the environment (i.e you installed OpenStack on cloud instances), or are you consuming OpenStack as a service?

Do you know what flavor and version of OpenStack is being used (i.e Red Hat, Ubuntu, Mirantis etc).

VSA needs to be on an OpenStack instance is its going to contact the OpenStack services to mount disks from the machines you are trying to backup to the VSA proxy so it can read the data out of them.

Badge +1

Hi @Damian Andre 

I am a tenant to our own Public Cloud which is based on Openstack hypervisor, I dont know the flavor details however I tried below scenarios :

Registered my openstack tenant domain with iam endpoint. I can see and browse all VM instances.

I deployed an instance with commserve + VSA proxy + Media Agent and tried

I deployed VSA Proxy + Media agent on a seperate windows instance and tried.

Can you please guide where should I deploy the VSA proxy here, on a windows instance or somewhere else ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Damian Andre 

I am a tenant to our own Public Cloud which is based on Openstack hypervisor, I dont know the flavor details however I tried below scenarios :

Can you please guide where should I deploy the VSA proxy here, on a windows instance or somewhere else ?

It should just be on a openstack instance (i.e not physical or VMware/HyperV or other hypervisor machine) in the same region of the machines you intend to protect. It sounds like perhaps the flavor of OpenStack may not be supported - once you find out you can check it against the requirements in this list (Feature release 23) to make sure.

Commvault provides support for the following OpenStack distributions:

• Red Hat OpenStack Platform with the following versions: Train, Stein, Rocky, Queens, Pike, Ocata, Newton, Mitaka, Liberty, Kilo

• OpenStack Community edition running on CentOS - versions 9, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

• Mirantis with the following versions: Kilo, Liberty, Mitaka, Newton, Ocata

• HPE Helion OpenStack 4.0.1 with the following version: Mitaka

• Huawei OpenStack Platform with the following versions: FusionCloud V100R002C00SPC600 (FusionCloud 2.06), FusionCloud 6.3.1, FusionCloud 6.5.0 (Huawei Cloud Stack 6.5.0), FusionCloud 6.5.1 (Huawei Cloud Stack 6.5.1)

• H3C OpenStack Platform with the following version: Mitaka, Pike

• EasyStack Cloud Service (ECS) OpenStack Platform 5.0.1.2-2 with the following version: Newton

otherwise the vsdiscover or cvd log files on the vsa proxy may give clues as to what is going wrong.