Solved

Registry-Key - s3dfsRootDir

• 30 October 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge +4

Good Day @everyone,

quick question,
we’re trying to move the s3dfsRootDir for Live Mount Operations to a dedicated drive.

When Specifying the key: https://documentation.commvault.com/additionalsetting/details?name=s3dfsRootDir

as an additional setting to the Mediaagent, we are not able to specify the location. If we put a value like D:\3dfscache into the key, the GUI displays, that the string is outside of the dictionary values. So I left the value “string”… But I am completely unsure where to define the actual location.

Does someone struggle this behaviour?
Best regards

icon

Best answer by D4T4Pr0T3ction 8 December 2023, 11:36

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @D4T4Pr0T3ction ,

the additional setting is for “ The Live Mount feature uses a 3DFS cache on the MediaAgent that performs the Live Mount. By default, the 3DFS cache is located in the Job Results folder for the MediaAgent; but you can use this additional setting to specify a different path for the cache.” 

You can add the additional setting from the media agent propertis as shown below,

note: Make sure D:\3dfscache is present

Badge +4

Hi @SMD ,

Tyvm for your help.
Although defined as an additional setting and presence of the key in the MA registry, the path seems not to be utilized.

Right one is C$ which is still used for the restore.

Any Ideas?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @SMD ,

Tyvm for your help.
Although defined as an additional setting and presence of the key in the MA registry, the path seems not to be utilized.

Any Ideas?

UNC/SMB path wont be supported and kind of defeats the purpose of a having a fast location - latency matters with this type of operation

Badge +4

@Damian Andre 

The Screenshot was just to clarify, that this path (which is accessible for users via UNC) is not used.

However,
i put out the key and filled in the value of the 3dfsCache-Directory in the MA Property Tab “File Server”. 
This seems to work now.

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hi @SMD ,

Tyvm for your help.

Any Ideas?

One thing you will need to do after using this key is a Service Restart on the MediaAgent, if you don’t do this it will keep using the default location of the JobResults directory. 

I found this out by a bit of trial and error. 

@Damian Andre  perhaps this Additional Setting description needs to be updated?

Badge +4

Good Morning all,

since the regkey did not work for us (didnt restart Services).
We trialed and errored as well.

Finally we’re using the “File Server” Tab on the Mediaagent-Properties to have the VM restored into E:\3dfscache. AFTER Recylcling the Services on the Mediaagent the next VM-Life Recovery will use this cache….