Solved

Removing VMs from subclient and backup

• 3 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi there,

I would like to discuss quite a common trouble.

I have removed several VMs from the backup - they have been removed from "Contents of subclient" under the subclient properties. However, the backup jobs binded with these VMs cannot be aged due to the basic cycle rule :cry: . Even though, the global rule "Ignore Cycles Retention On De-Configured Clients" is set to 1. In fact, the VMs are already deleted from the vcenter (last copy of VMs is retained in the other DC). Moreover, none of these VMs are seen in CV Browser tab. So, is there any option how to bypass the basic cycle retention law and let these backup jobs aged? Of course, I could manually delete these jobs from the tapes, which is a quit unrecommended approach, isnt? Neverthless, it is the last chance to free the tapes.

icon

Best answer by drPhil 9 March 2022, 11:30

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @drPhil !  Can you confirm that the job shows in the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance report as BASIC CYCLES?  If so, is it showing the vm itself, or the VSA proxy as the ‘client’?  What is the cycle count?

I can’t be sure without looking at your environment, though I suspect that the actual client is not deconfigured, just the vm (which that global rule is not going to affect).

The report should give us more solid detail.

Thanks!

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hi there,

I would like to discuss quite a common trouble.

I have removed several VMs from the backup - they have been removed from "Contents of subclient" under the subclient properties. However, the backup jobs binded with these VMs cannot be aged due to the basic cycle rule :cry: . Even though, the global rule "Ignore Cycles Retention On De-Configured Clients" is set to 1. In fact, the VMs are already deleted from the vcenter (last copy of VMs is retained in the other DC). Moreover, none of these VMs are seen in CV Browser tab. So, is there any option how to bypass the basic cycle retention law and let these backup jobs aged? Of course, I could manually delete these jobs from the tapes, which is a quit unrecommended approach, isnt? Neverthless, it is the last chance to free the tapes.

Is this a V1 or V2 indexing running for the VCenter iDA? Also is the guest VM physically deleted from the host?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

This should take care of it [Delete deconfigured clients that have no protected data]

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/11019_media_management_configuration_data_aging.html

And some more on this if you have V2 indexing enabled for the iDA:

ttps://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/126639_deleted_or_deconfigured_clients_for_vm_centric_operations.html

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening and @Hyder ! I would like to share the solution of this issue. Indeed, the VM clients were not deconfigured. I have removed them from the "Contents of subclient" under the subclient properties, but they stayed somewhere under Client Computers item/section in the Commcell Browser. It is worth double-checking if the clients are visible as undeconfigured in the Commcell Browser both under Client Computers and Client Computer Group. It seems that VMs are displayed here twice at a first glance. Thank you both for useful suggestions and tips!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Thanks for coming back to share!!!