Skip to main content

Good afternoon all :)  I currently have a ‘hybrid’ Commvault infrastructure - some physical machines, some virtual machines.   My local datacenter has the Commserve as a physical server, and several physical MA’s to back up all my local systems (mix of physical and virtual machines), and I have several virtual MA’s running in cloud instances that handle backups of their associated cloud-based systems.

I am being ‘nudged’ towards running *ALL* of my local CV components as virtual machines.  The CommServe itself could exist either in VMware or as a Cloud instance, and my local Media Agents would then run in VMware.  

For some reason this makes me uncomfortable, I know virtual machines are supported for MA’s and Commserve, but to be 100% virtualized just makes me slightly uneasy, especially when I think about a VM-based  MA backing up VMware machines in its own VMware instance.  Don’t know why -- it just does.

Is anybody else running 100% of their CV environment as virtual machines?   Assuming I have sized my CS and MA’s appropriately for my environment, and I have the hardware to support it (for DDB’s, indexing, etc) - are there any “gotchas” to running my Commvault environment 100% virtually? 

Hi @nerdgirl !  This is a great thread you’ve started :nerd:

We definitely have plenty of people who have 100% virtual based CommCells (at least for the CS and MA pieces) so it can easily be done.

We even have a thread on that here:

Take a look there and @Stuart Painter ‘s answer to @Carsten covers what you’re looking for.

Regarding the Cloud, I would suggest you have Cloud Media Agents for any cloud libraries to cut down on egress costs (pulling data from the cloud, etc.).

Yes, I guess I should’ve been more clear -- I do have Cloud media agents for all of my cloud instances - backing up cloud resources directly to cloud storage targets -- so no ingress/egress charges there!

Thank you for the links, I look forward to reading them!  I swear I tried to do a search before I posted something but didn’t quite have all the right keywords :flushed:

That’s likely the case.  We’re working on improving the search experience.  Watch this commuinity for updates!!

I am being ‘nudged’ towards running *ALL* of my local CV components as virtual machines.  The CommServe itself could exist either in VMware or as a Cloud instance, and my local Media Agents would then run in VMware.  

Technically, as long as the VMs have the necessary HW specs and connectivity to other resources, we don’t care care if the environment is on-prem, virtual or in the cloud.  As mentioned about the egress fees, paying attention to the data flow (both network and disk access) in order to minimize network impact (and/or cloud fees) is where you need to pay the most attention.

You appear to have some concern about keeping all your eggs in one virtualized basket.  This is a legit concern, but it also applies to physical and cloud environments.  What if you lose a top of rack switch, or the cloud provider is down?  The best you can do is understand the risks and mitigate them to the best of your ability.

Thanks,
Scott

Another awesome reply from @Scott Moseman !