Question

virtual machine is not view separately in virtual infrastructure group

• 6 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Badge +5

Actually my question is , i have added vmare vCenter in commvault, but the virtual machine is not showing proper way. like not showing  left side navigation commcell windows. it is show vCenter tab then expand then virtual server then expand then default then double click and then contend tab and it is showing all virtual machine.

don’t want this way.. want showing left side navigation window all virtual machine.

How ? any process ?

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Keshav Sawant 

To show the VM as a client, please perform the below steps:

From the CommCell Console ribbon, click the Tools tab, and then click User Preferences.

Click the Client Computer Filter tab.

Select the Show Virtual Machines check box.

Click OK.

The steps are documented here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/show_virtual_machines_in_client_computers_list.html

Best Regards,

Michael

Badge +5

when I tried to full VM retore on different Esxi host, but not luck. it’s failed due to same name. 

because I tried to find enter new name machine while restore process. but not find.

Please suggest or guide

Badge +5

Hi @Keshav Sawant 

To show the VM as a client, please perform the below steps:

From the CommCell Console ribbon, click the Tools tab, and then click User Preferences.

Click the Client Computer Filter tab.

Select the Show Virtual Machines check box.

Click OK.

The steps are documented here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/show_virtual_machines_in_client_computers_list.html

Best Regards,

Michael

I have done steps but the only shown the few virtual system which install CV agent. why?

as per process the all host and virtual machine should be show. because configured the vCenter server and did the process.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Keshav Sawant,

Showing Virtual Machines option should show the VM Clients in the CommCell Console under “Client Computers”. - If they don’t show, can you refresh the GUI and check again? - They will show with their VM name and should show “Virtual Server” Instance under the client.

You can Right Click > View > Backup History to see the VM backup Jobs for the VM.

If the VM does not show; Can you check under Client Computer Groups, Selecting the Group for the vCenter/Hypervisor Client and see if they show there?

Best Regards,

Michael 

Badge +5

Hi @Keshav Sawant,

Showing Virtual Machines option should show the VM Clients in the CommCell Console under “Client Computers”. - If they don’t show, can you refresh the GUI and check again? - They will show with their VM name and should show “Virtual Server” Instance under the client.

You can Right Click > View > Backup History to see the VM backup Jobs for the VM.

If the VM does not show; Can you check under Client Computer Groups, Selecting the Group for the vCenter/Hypervisor Client and see if they show there?

Best Regards,

Michael 

Not work..

My question is, when I go to tool and user preference then client computer filter tab and check mark show virtual machine. then only shown few virtual systems in which CommVault agent installed, rest of other virtual system is not showing under the vCenter tab.

Why?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hi @Keshav Sawant,

Can you share some screenshots of what you’re seeing here please? - Have you run a backup of the VM you’re trying to locate in the CommCell here?

With VSA backups we do not “install” software inside the VM for a standard streaming backup. - You will/should see “Virtual Server” under the VM, this is the instance under which the VM Backup Jobs are tracked.

Best Regards,

Michael 

Badge +5

Above snap.. only show the few VM, which is installed CV agent .

want to show all virtual system and host also.. how it is possible.

As above snap. it is showing all VM .  some VM grey out because not installed  agent.