Skip to main content

How do the data readers of a VMware subclient relate to the VSA/Access Nodes? If we have 12 readers configured with 4x VSA’s will it run 12 readers on each VSA giving us 48 total streams? Or will it split the 12 readers evenly across the 4x VSA’s, creating 3x streams for each VSA?

I’ll add that we did test this and it limited the streams to 12 total even with 4x VSA’s. So I guess my actual question is - is this expected behavior? Other products we’ve used in the past had the streams/data readers set per proxy and not by group/subclient.

I’ll add that we did test this and it limited the streams to 12 total even with 4x VSA’s. So I guess my actual question is - is this expected behavior? Other products we’ve used in the past had the streams/data readers set per proxy and not by group/subclient.

Yes, this is expected.  The readers are defined at the Subclient (VM Group) level.

Configuring the readers at the VSA proxy level is not really logical.  The VSA proxies can be used across any number of Subclients, so increasing or decreasing readers at the proxy level could have adverse affects on some Subclients.

Thanks,
Scott

Yes, this is expected.  The readers are defined at the Subclient (VM Group) level.

Configuring the readers at the VSA proxy level is not really logical.  The VSA proxies can be used across any number of Subclients, so increasing or decreasing readers at the proxy level could have adverse affects on some Subclients.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks, Scott. So is it “safe” to increase the readers to 48 in this example if we wanted all 4 proxy’s running 12 streams each? Each subclient is configured at the ESXi cluster level so no other jobs would be running against that cluster at that time.

Thanks,
Scott

Thanks, Scott. So is it “safe” to increase the readers to 48 in this example if we wanted all 4 proxy’s running 12 streams each? Each subclient is configured at the ESXi cluster level so no other jobs would be running against that cluster at that time.

Yes and no.  You can do that, but there’s other criteria which could bottleneck the jobs.  See the VM Dispatch documentation below to see how VMs are divided up.  For example, CPU and RAM will be limiting factors as to how many VMs a VSA proxy can handle at once.

VM Dispatch and Proxy Selection for VMware Backups
https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/32272_vm_dispatch_and_proxy_selection_for_vmware_backups.html

Thanks,
Scott