Question

VMware Full VM Restore from multiple disks in parallel

• 11 October 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hello, I have a question. When backing up a VMware VM via SAN, it performs backup of all its disks in parallel, which gives us optimal performance, reaching a speed that exceeds 1TB/hr. The problem comes in the restore since the speed decreases at rates between 200 and 300 GB/hr. We see in the logs that each disk of the VM is restored one by one. Is there a key that can solve this problem.

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @slow backup with Catalys HPE The restore is also using SAN mode? You can confirm that in vrsrt.log and also check the stat- ID and confirm where we are lagging behind. 

On top of it  you can check the performance using TestVMInfo, example is here in this video 

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Rajiv,
AFAIK, Commvault did not support the parallel restore of virtual disks of a single VM (multi stream restore) in the past but uses only one stream per VM.
Multiple streams are only used during a restore, where multiple VMs are requested to be restored.

Did this behavior change in one of the latest Feature/Innovation/Product Releases?

This behavior has been independent to the transport mode used during restores.

Nevertheless, I observed, that using hotadd for restore (virtual VSA within the target cluster) has been a lot faster than using SAN mode or even NBD.

in the above scenario, I’d assume, that NBD has been used, since per default SAN volumes are left in offline state on physical VSA and therefore can only be used to read data for backups.

With NBD I think that 300GB/h is within the expected range (~100MB/s)

rgds
Klaus