Solved

All Active Jobs Report

• 15 January 2024
  • 13 replies

Badge +3

All,

I’m looking for some guidance. There is a report that can be installed from the CV Store that claims to show “Active Jobs” and it does so, but only backup type jobs. Is anyone aware of a report like this but that shows Administrative type jobs as well? Essentially what I’d like to do is create a custom dashboard that would show any jobs that would be running in the job controller plus some other data/metrics. I want all this data to come from the Metrics Server’s CVCloud database. The table is there for the Admin jobs, so I know the data is there. I unfortunately don’t know anything about the report builder and/or MS SQL to build a customer report. It would be nice if this came as a canned report, but I haven’t found one.

Thank you in advance for any and all guidance/input. 

Adam Davenport

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 29 February 2024, 23:25

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@AdamDavenport 

I know of a legacy report (accessed via the JAVA console) that shows administrative jobs, details are here: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/administrative_job_summary_report_overview.html

The Administrative Job Summary Report displays information about all administrative jobs that ran in the CommCell during the specified time period.

You can use the Administrative Job Summary Report to review information related to all administrative jobs that run in the CommCell, including, data aging, disaster recovery backup, and data verification jobs.

This report is useful if you need to know:

• A comprehensive list of all administrative jobs that ran in the CommCell during a specific time period

• The failure reason and associated events for all administrative jobs

• Details including destination drives and associated storage policies for individual jobs

• The names of users who set up and run administrative jobs

Could you perhaps get away with using this one and I can then chase up internally to see if we can provide a more recent/store based report? 

Please confirm if the above meets your requirements then I can use this report as an example to be created / available to the store.

Regards,

Chris

Badge +3

Chris,

Thank you for the reply.

Yes that report works fine, but not quite what I’m looking for due to a couple reasons. I’m trying to stay away from the legacy Java based console as that is the direction of CommVault anyway, and stay within the Command Center but really within the data collected by the local Metrics Server. Job stats seem to be updated in the Metrics Server hourly. I’d like this true “All active jobs” type report to build a custom dashboard with other items and then build/enable some alerting.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@AdamDavenport 

Had this tested internally, couldn’t see any administrator based jobs like you’ve reported. Either the report description is wrong, or the report isn’t doing what it’s designed to.

Let me chase this down internally and get back to you.

Regards,

Chris 

Badge +3

Chris,

I did some more digging on this. The current report I’m referring to is called “Active Jobs”. I looked at the SQL query it is doing (95% of which I don’t understand) and it is getting data from the “cf_SurveyRunningJobStats” table in the CVCloud database. This table doesn’t seem to contain admin type jobs. I think the “cf_SurveyRunningAdminJobStats” table in the same database does have that admin job data, but I haven’t found a report that utilizes it. I certainly don’t have any idea how to model the “Active Jobs” report to create a new report that either captures that admin job table as a separate report or a report that captures both tables to have a more comprehensive report that shows “all” active jobs regardless of type. In a perfect world, I want this “Active Jobs” report to show me only active jobs(running, pending, queued, waiting, etc), of any type(backup, snap copy, backup copy, aux copy, DDB Verification, etc.), in the last hour(since this metrics data seems to get updated hourly). In short, I want to see the job controller in report form so as mentioned I can create a custom dashboard with it.

I hope I’m making sense on what I’m looking for.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@AdamDavenport 

Yep, I understand. That’s why I want confirmation on the reports description as it doesn’t align to what it provides (I expect all jobs not just backup jobs).

I’ve engaged the developer who put it together for clarity. Have also asked if we don’t have an existing report that provides admin job details (such as the legacy one in the JAVA console, if they can put one together). 

Also regarding ‘since this metrics data seems to get updated hourly’ where did you get this? I thought it was daily (24 hours).

Regards,

Badge +3

Metrics data updates - There is definitely the daily that can be configured, but on the hourly updates it’s mostly from personal observation. There seems to be certain data that gets updated more than once/day. It can be seen from the CVSurvey and WebServer log when it happens. Not sure if that is by design or not though, but it is the behavior I’ve seen in multiple CommVault environments. I hope it is by design because it is handy for this Active Jobs report.

Badge +3

@Chris Hollis - just checking in. You stated you engaged a developer on this. Just wondering if you’ve heard anything back.

Thank you,

Adam D.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @AdamDavenport 

They appear to be a very busy team, haven’t heard back yet after 2 follow ups.

Have tagged in another team now to try get an answer, hopefully will have one in next 24 hours.

Regards,

Chris 

Badge +3

@Chris Hollis - no worries! I appreciate your efforts!

Badge +3

@Chris Hollis - I suppose you have not heard anything back on this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @AdamDavenport 

No I haven’t. I was informed they were looking into the query and they’d get back to me. 

I’ve just asked for an update so will share it as soon as I get it.

Thanks for your patience.

Regards,

Chris 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@AdamDavenport confirmed with development are going to release a new report for admin jobs and fix up the title of ‘all jobs’ on this report.

Should be out in the next 4 months on the store. 

Regards,

Chris 

Badge +3

@Chris Hollis - Thank you so much for this. It is going to be a long possible 4 months. I’ll check every week or so until then!