Solved

What options do we have for push notification for backup failure in commvault. is it possible to send to a cell number?

• 21 March 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

we have some set of weekend backups which is very important for customer. If any backup failures happen, customer want to send the mobile notification to his mobile. is it possible  ??? 

What options do we have for push notification for backup failure in commvault.  is it possible to send to a cell number?

icon

Best answer by JBuratti 25 March 2022, 15:04

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello Allan0105,

An Alert can be created to notify if a job fails but there is not a way to send to a cell number.  It will send an email Alert that can be monitored by a Cell. 

Alert Notification Type Overview (commvault.com)

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Hello Allan0105,

I have done some more research and found that you can create a Webhook and have an Alert get triggered to notify you in a third party app, such as Teams, if you have that on your phone.  You will need your Commserve to be at least V11.25.  Here is the link to the Docs.

Adding a Webhook (commvault.com)

Userlevel 3
Badge +13

Hi All, 

I opened an case with commvault and they said no option to send message directly to the cell number for backup failures but they gave an option to create Webhook and i am going to upgrade my commserve to v11.25. 

is anyone did this configuration before ?

We can create a Webhook and have an Alert get triggered to notify you in a third party app, such as Teams, if you have that on your phone. W

Here is the link to the Docs.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/essential/144668_adding_webhook.html

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hi @Allan0105 ,

Most Cell phone carriers allow text messages to be received via sending an email.  For example, if you were to send an email to [your 10 digit cell phone number]@[your carrier].com, this would be received as a text message on your phone.

This does not work for all carriers and for the ones it does work with you would need to know the actual “@[carrier].com” format so you would need to do that research.

For example, Sprint would have the format of “1234567890@messaging.sprintpcs.com

Once you figure out your phones text email address you can then configure the standard alert in commvault to be sent to the phone email address.

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Most Cell phone carriers allow text messages to be received via sending an email.

I have been using Email to SMS for years for various Alerts.

List Of Email-To-SMS Addresses
https://avtech.com/articles/138/list-of-email-to-sms-addresses/

Thanks,
Scott