Solved

full virtual machine backup,2 ways

• 5 September 2021
  • 5 replies

Badge +2

Hey everyone
I’ve just moved to a new environment which already had Commvault configured in it.Im trying to make sure all the backups and policies are correct and mainly to understand the product better.
I have both Commvault and VCenter in my environment. My VCenter was already configured to interact with the Commvault console.
My question is about the both ways i’ve seend a VM being backed up.

First way is when I go to Commvault» client computers» <machine> » Virtual Server

First

and second way is when I got to the configured VCenter in Commvault » <vcenter> » Virtual Machine » VMware » defaultBackupSet » content

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Alireza B 10 September 2021, 00:53

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

Hi,

Second way that you have mentioned is the place to configure and check backups etc.

With every backup, system will detect the VMs and will list them under Client machines that’s why you can see the VM backup under each machine.

Hope this answers your question? 

Badge +2

Hi,

Second way that you have mentioned is the place to configure and check backups etc.

With every backup, system will detect the VMs and will list them under Client machines that’s why you can see the VM backup under each machine.

Hope this answers your question? 

Hey,

First of all thank you for your quick answer but I don’t think I quite understood it. Could you clarify?

Do you mean that first of all I add a VM to the ‘Content’ section and ONLY then it will add them to client computer for me to backup?

So for example if I got straight to a VM and ‘add/remove software’ and add the ‘Virtual Machine’ it’s not going to backup it up until its added under content?

Thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@paragon , you can manually add virtual machines to your content, or you can set up automatic discovery (and filtering) to make the job easier:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/31626_adding_subclient_content.html

This way, you can automate the content as new machines are added without having to manually add each and every one.

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

In addition to what Michael said and in regards to this:

So for example if I got straight to a VM and ‘add/remove software’ and add the ‘Virtual Machine’ it’s not going to backup it up until its added under content?

If you install the siftware directly on the VM, then system will backup the VM using Windows or Lunix file system agent. If you want to protect the VM using Virtual Server Agent(VSA) you don’t need to install agent on the VM. Just add it under content for VSA agent.

Badge +2

Thank you very much to both of you guys!

I think I finally fully understood it.