Skip to main content

History about CommVault / Simpana / Galaxy

• 23 August 2021
  • 5 replies

Can any one from legacy can describe about CommVault history. What could be the major version boom the market to place in top Data Protection Tool. 

Version <8 → Galaxy 

Version 8 & 9 →  Simpana 

Version 10 & 11 →  CommVault

Can give more details about Commvault historical information when these changes happened. 
(If any above wrong correct it please).

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Version <8 → Galaxy 

Version 8 & 9 →  Simpana 

Version 10 & 11 →  CommVault

Can give more details about Commvault historical information when these changes happened. 
(If any above wrong correct it please).

I believe <8 was called QiNetix, Galaxy was prior to 6.1. The rest looks accurate - the separate product nomenclature was dropped in 10+ since we only offer one platform and customers came to recognize us by the company name (although, bit different now with Metallic in the fold).

Commvault had several heavy growth periods, the one I was around for was the version 8 & 9 product versions. Later on in V8 and especially V9 brought snap integrations (Snap Protect / Intellisnap), especially with NetApp which was (and still is) a very valuable capability that others are still trying to catch up on. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I think @Damian Andre has it right.  QiNetix is a rather old name (and I’ve been here for 15 years, 2 weeks after 6.1 SP2 dropped iirc).

I’m sure some of our other vets will have their own inputs, though the big movers to me (from my at-the-time corner of Support) were when we started doing software based Single Instancing, then full on Deduplication (which was SUCH A JUMP in efficiency).  We have also always been on the forefront of supported platforms, so you could pretty much name an application or hypervisor and we either had a means to back it up, or an actual agent.

I bet some of our community can list out specific features that caught their eye, though in my eyes, we were always awesome, and more and more people took notice :sunglasses:

If you’re looking for anything specific, like a timeline of features, I can ask around our marketing folks and see what they have.  Sounds crazy, but being in the thick of it, I can’t see the forest for the trees!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Thanks @Mike Struening & @Damian Andre ; 

Am expecting more when I was learned & started 2012 with V8 & V9. But, those notes faded away from my lib :wink:. May be the technical trainers from CV they had more information. One INDIA Mr. Biswanath Das and One from Sydney but forget he's name. 

May be you can get touch with both get more documents about legacy CV information. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Well, we could go back to ABARS and Vault 98 from the mid-late 90’s which predated the *amazing* galaxy architecture which has stood the test of time and still underpins the core architecture of V11.

I believe ABARS had a focus on optimal media.

In either case, the past is the past, the galaxy architecture has stood the test of time, the levels of abstraction means the product can literally write data to any media source. When cloud came around it was a very simple update to write natively (and deduplicated) to cloud targets, which many still struggle with today.

If you want to dive deeper down memory lane, check out the commvault site on https://archive.org/ - you can go back pretty far to see the product offerings and other details.

But if we’re looking forward, the technology created around Metallic is the next leap!

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hi @Damian Andre : 100% agreed the future market with Metallic, in many of Vaulter inside & outside of CV they dont know about what is CommVault Historical. Let keep this conversation open and grab as much other can share with their knowledge. 

Once again thanks for your time spend gathering the data.