Skip to main content
Solved

New to Commvault Architecture – Seeking High-Level Guidance for New Deployment

• 3 July 2024
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone,

I'm reaching out to the Commvault community with a request for guidance as I embark on a new challenge. I've been in IT since the early 90s with a focus on SAN, NAS and Object storage, but I'm relatively new to Commvault administration and engineering.

I've recently joined a team tasked with migrating our backup environment to new hardware, including Nutanix. While I'm eager to learn, the lack of existing architecture planning and the potential for misconfiguration have me concerned (most of the CV people we have are admin not engineers). My goal is to design a solution that optimizes our resources and avoids leaving performance on the table.

Here's a brief overview of our situation:

• Current: Mostly SAN/DAS targets, primarily backing up VMs.
  • Future: Incorporating Nutanix which I understand may introduce new considerations.  We also have new DAS hardware which, if I understand, means that there are features that Commvault will have to supply (vs a dedicated storage array that might have those features built in).
  • Team: My colleagues have limited experience with Commvault's advanced features.
  • Hardware: New equipment was purchased with minimal input on Commvault configuration.

I'm actively gathering information about our current environment and requirements, and I'm advocating for engaging with our partners for expert guidance. In the meantime, I'm hoping to tap into the collective wisdom of this community.  The better I understand the challenges of what we’re trying to do and the consequences of poor decision making in the early stages, the better chance I have to pry $$$ away for PS hrs.

Specific questions:

• High-Level Considerations: Beyond the obvious data collection, what are some critical high-level factors I should be aware of when architecting a Commvault solution in this type of environment?
  • Nutanix: Are there any specific Commvault best practices or potential pitfalls to watch out for when integrating with Nutanix?
  • Optimization: What are some of the "low-hanging fruit" in terms of Commvault features or configurations that can significantly impact backup performance and efficiency?

Any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Given the scenario you’ve presented, I would highly recommend you consider engaging Commvault Professional Services to review your existing environment, and to provide a design. I don’t think your time will be best spent trying to unravel an unfamiliar system.

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @DigitalDump 

I agree that this needs a design review by Commvault PS team to provide you best path forward. There is information available on our Docs and community here but I reckon your time will be best spent by having our PS engaged and guide you forward. 

Providing some insights on the questions :

Let me know if you need assistance in reaching our PS team.

Badge +1

Hi @DigitalDump 

I agree that this needs a design review by Commvault PS team to provide you best path forward. There is information available on our Docs and community here but I reckon your time will be best spent by having our PS engaged and guide you forward. 

Providing some insights on the questions :

Let me know if you need assistance in reaching our PS team.

Raja,

Thank you for the info, you and Erase4...

I appreciate your insights and agree that expert guidance is crucial. Currently, engaging paid services through our third-party vendor (I don’t have access to CV support directly in most cases) requires a lengthy approval process, the outcome of which is uncertain. However, I am actively exploring all options, including utilizing our existing support agreement for (I assume) paid consultative assistance as you suggest.

While I have limited experience architecting Commvault specifically, I have a strong background in enterprise storage solutions and have been diligently studying best practices to design the most effective solution. A well-designed system, facilitated by expert consultation, will undoubtedly yield significant long-term savings in terms of more efficient resource utilization, improved SLAs, and lower TCO.

I will continue to advocate for expert assistance internally and appreciate any additional information you or others can share in the meantime. This information will equip me to be the most effective advocate for my organization, as I possess a unique understanding of how proposed designs align with our long-term goals.

I will take some time and review the info you provided.

Thank you!