Solved

Replacing Commcell Console server (v11) without outage

• 21 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I would like to rebuild/replace our current v11 (.28.56) Command Center server (virtualised), that is running the Commcell Console and Command Center, as it running on Windows 2012 R2, which is about to be EOL from Microsoft. Is there an easy to follow procedure to do this, as I could not find anything in the Knowledge Documentation website. Ideally, I would like to build the new command server with the existing one still running, to avoid interrupting current backups, and loss of databases/jobs, etc. Is this easy to do?

I will worry about the physical media server separately when the time comes.

P.S. I had hoped to do an in-place Operating system upgrade on the existing VM, but Windows 2016 refused the Keep Files/apps option, most likely because the current Console is running SQL 2008.

icon

Best answer by Zubair Ahmed Sharief 21 July 2023, 12:19

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@Michael6000 

Is your plan is to migrate Webserver and command center out of Commserve machine to a new machine?

If yes, You can follow the below steps:

1. Install the webserver and command center packages on the new machine.
  2. Make sure necessary ports are open. Open port UDP and TCP at the Commserve side in order to get SQL connection from the new machine

NOTE: if the SQL port change you must add the new port to the Firewall Exceptions

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/essential/7102_port_requirements_for_commvault.html
  3. Change the Console icons that point to Webconsole/Command Center to the new machine by adding the additional setting below 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/4344_changing_web_console_url_for_commserve.html

Kindly let me know if this helps

Userlevel 3
Badge +9

Hello @Michael6000 

Please take a look at the below

commserve hardware refresh (migration from server Win 2012 to Win server 2019) | Community (commvault.com)

If you do not have tapes, then MA can also be virtualized.

If you are planning for zero outage time, then with standalone CS this is not possible.