Solved

SQL upgrade required in FR25??

• 20 August 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

We just installed a brand new CommServe for testing and noticed it came along with SQL 2019. Now the documentation states the following:

Note: Beginning in Feature Release 11.25, during the installation of the CommServe software or other server packages, Commvault installs Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Standard Edition by default.  

See: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/142606_upgrading_microsoft_sql_server_2016_standard_edition_to_microsoft_sql_server_2019_standard_edition.html

Now as SQL 2019 is already installed by default as part of FR25 it to me raised the question if the note in the documentation actually indicates that it requires SQL 2019 to be installed. SQL 2012 R2 extended support is ending next year, so to me it would make sense to start informing customers that they should make plans to upgrade. Most likely you are also still running on Windows 2012 R2 so it would require a full refresh of both OS and SQL.

Anyway I'm curious to hear if FR25 will require SQL 2019 to be installed, yes or no. 

icon

Best answer by Brian Bruno 20 August 2021, 16:29

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Onno van den Berg , hope all is well!

To confirm, are you asking if UPGRADING the Commserve to MR25 will enforce SQL  2019 (as opposed to brand new fresh installs only)?

I’ll ask around and see what I can find.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@Mike Struening yes, that is correct. My initial thought based on the information that FR25 would be shipped with SQL 2019 and that it would be used of for fresh installations. But because I discovered that FR24 is shipped with SQL 2019 already and because it is clearly stated as a NOTE on all pages I therefore thought that it could mean that FR25 will perform a forced SQL upgrade to SQL 2019 or that it would be a hard requirement that is checked before proceeding with the actual installation.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Onno van den Berg ,

I can confirm that SQL 2019 will not be a requirement.  Although the FR25 documentation is not publicly available yet (for obvious reason), I did just check our internal docs for FR25 and confirmed that it will continue to support all SQL Versions as far back as SQL 2012 SP4.

Regarding the link that you sent, there is a slight correction to be made there.  We began installing SQL 2019 for new installations beginning in FR24.  I will make a modification request to that documentation page so that it is correct.  A similar but more accurate statement is made in the FR24 documentation page for CommServe System Requirements :

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/2801_commserve_server_system_requirements_02.html

With regards to the Windows 2012 R2 OS, we will continue to support 2012 R2 for existing Commcells to allow customers to upgrade to FR24/FR25 without performing a Hardware Refresh / OS upgrade, however the installer will not allow a brand new installation to occur on Server 2012 R2 with FR24+ Media.

I hope this answers your question!

-Brian Bruno

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Thanks for the confirmation and the follow-up to make sure this information is corrected.