Skip to main content

Hi Community,

I took over a Commvault Simpana system and recognized, that tapes wont age.

The reason is, that on affected tapes full, differencial and aswell daily, monthly and yearly backups are freely mixed.

At the end I have for instance tapes, which have 99% of aged daily backups, and one 30mb in size backup which is aged earliest in 3 years. So this prevents the system from reuse the nearly free tape.

By now I identify these tapes and copy the content on a new media, to get the data consolidated and the old tapes free.

I would like to have tape pools for daily, monthly and yearly backups, and maybe aswell for full and differencial backups.

Whats the best practice here? From what I see here is, that the consultant the company had on site 10 years ago was going the easy way.

Greetings

Ulrich

Hello @Technic01 

If you have a Storage policy with a single copy and use the extended retention feature you will find data becoming mixed and have the issue you are facing. There is a rule in Commvault when a tape is written to it can only be written to by that one Storage Policy cop and nothing else. 

So by having separate copies with different retention you can have a single pool configured and they will never write on the same tape’s allowing them to age out and be reused. In the Storage policy you can have extra copy’s of data writing to the same tape location with different retention.

Kind regards
Albert Williams