Question

Commvault Metallic Exchange Job Operation Type

• 26 January 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi Expert, 

I’m a newbie for Commvault cloud. Would like to check why the exchange backup job operation type name as Archive? But teams and one drive is name as backup.

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @AL098 

Thanks for the great question. An archive and backup are in essence the same thing and should be treated the same when it comes to the context of exchange backups. 

I believe they are called archive due to the classic agent and the way the configuration policies were named. They were called, Archive/Cleanup/retention policy and such archive job. I could be wrong on the reason but they should be treated the same anyways. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @AL098 

Understanding Backups: 

Data backup is a process that involves creating a copy of data at a specific point in time and storing it in a separate location from the original source. The primary purpose of a backup is to provide a means to recover data in the event of a loss, corruption, or hardware failure. Backups are typically stored in easily accessible locations, such as hot cloud storage or local storage devices. The data in backups is constantly changing, and old backups are periodically deleted or overwritten to maintain efficiency.

Understanding Archives: 

This question tends to come up when looking at Data sets such as Exchange. Unlike backups, data archiving involves moving data from its original location to a secondary storage system for long-term retention. Archives are typically used to meet legal compliance requirements, such as retaining company emails or transaction records for a specific period. Archived data is usually unchanging and is retained indefinitely or for the required period. 

Key Differences:

While backups are designed for quick recovery of data in case of unexpected loss, archives are meant for long-term storage of specific data for compliance purposes. Backups typically involve all data, excluding unimportant information like temporary files, while archives only include specific files that need to be retained.